cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 04:44 PM   #11
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I like Pelagius's approach to the new testament lessons.

I have found these lessons almost unteachable, but fortunately we've had instructors who could make heads or tails out of the lessons. Most of the quotes are not directed toward a structured approach but Faulkner flow of consciousness. Although one might read that type of literature for enjoyment, in terms of a structured program for personal improvement it seems much less effective. It is neither scholarly, with references, nor thematically structured. If it were thematically structured, one could reference the then current status of a policy, map its development and changes.

However, I find most of the talks, basically, "the prophet was a very good man, he set an example, this is how you should love your wife, this is how you can pray."

Fortunately, we have instructors who much more than is in the manual, but a pure thematic discussion after decades within the Church seem very routine and often not motivating.
I suspect that the makers of the manual do not have those who have been in the church for decades in mind. I don't know that they should be, either. The church had about 9 million members when Gordon B. Hinckley became president a little over 10 years ago, and is now at nearly 13 million members. This means about 25 percent of the church's membership have been members for less than one decade.

That said, teachers should be able to use the manual to get the most benefit to the particular groups they are teaching. A lesson in the High Priests quorum, for example, ought to be somewhat more engaging than in, say, the Elders Quorum of Las Palmas in Gran Canaria, where there are only two men who have been members more than 10 years.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:00 PM   #12
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Isn't the purpose of a quorum teacher different than a Gospel Doctrine teacher?

Isn't he to instruct priesthood holders in the rigors of their duties? And where required to call the priesthood to repentance? Does that mean he should lull them to sleep so that they don't have anything to repent of?
Perhaps I wasn't clear. Oaks was talking specifically about the priesthood manual.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:19 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I love the church manuals. They allow me to take 5 minutes to prepare lessons.

If I had to prepare lessons from scratch it would take me at least 5 minutes to come up with a topic.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:22 PM   #14
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
This is why it is a challenge. You have a church that wants uniformity among all wards throughout the world. As a result, they have to all teach the same lessons from the same text. In order for everyone to understand those lessons, they have to teach to the lowest common denominator (not in terms of intelligence, but in terms of experience and understanding of the gospel). If you want something beyond that, you have to rely on the talents of a really good teacher, and not many wards have people like that (since nobody in the church is a professional).

Overall, I think the church does a nice job with things, but you can get some really dull lessons in EQ with these manuals.
If all the members of the EQ actually read and study the manual ahead of time, they should be able to extract a fair amount of meaning and insight from the lesson before they ever show up on Sunday.

Then, in the normal course of discussion you can share your insights on the topic in a way that people of various backgrounds and understandings can benefit. There's no need for the instructor to have to handfeed everyone what the lesson says and means, nor require them to have to somehow keep the intellectuals stimulated while simultaneously keeping the rank novices from getting overwhelmed.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:32 PM   #15
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I think it's been touched on, but if the lesson is boring, it's not the manual's fault. It's the teacher's.

I teach every 2nd Sunday in Priesthood and feel that the lessons always go well. As Indy said, if the quorum members actually read ahead, they have as much to add as the formal instructor does. And that makes for a quality half-hour. I've always approached the calling as being a discussion leader than an all-knowing information dispenser.

But I guess it's easier to blame the manual.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:39 PM   #16
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
I think it's been touched on, but if the lesson is boring, it's not the manual's fault. It's the teacher's.

I teach every 2nd Sunday in Priesthood and feel that the lessons always go well. As Indy said, if the quorum members actually read ahead, they have as much to add as the formal instructor does. And that makes for a quality half-hour. I've always approached the calling as being a discussion leader than an all-knowing information dispenser.

But I guess it's easier to blame the manual.
When I taught EQ lessons, I never intended for me to talk more than maybe 5 total minutes out of the entire class. My preparation mostly consisted of reading the material and finding relevant questions from the material and asking questions that would generate discussion from the other guys. IMO, that usually resulted in a productive class.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:03 PM   #17
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
When I taught EQ lessons, I never intended for me to talk more than maybe 5 total minutes out of the entire class. My preparation mostly consisted of reading the material and finding relevant questions from the material and asking questions that would generate discussion from the other guys. IMO, that usually resulted in a productive class.
Preparation by teacher and student matter, but the materials seemed to be very dumbed down. That's my main point. Having spent a lifetime in complex matters, dumbed down material really requires effort to stay interested. Usually I bring my own stuff, try to not to be noticed and get something by being there.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:09 PM   #18
Tex

Quote:
Preparation by teacher and student matter, but the materials seemed to be very dumbed down. That's my main point. Having spent a lifetime in complex matters, dumbed down material really requires effort to stay interested. Usually I bring my own stuff, try to not to be noticed and get something by being there.
Truly.

It's too bad those apostles couldn't write a manual to keep the intellectuals interested.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:22 PM   #19
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Truly.

It's too bad those apostles couldn't write a manual to keep the intellectuals interested.
Apostles didn't write it. They commissioned a committee, and certain talks were omitted, such as don't kill the little bird speech.

I recognize the need with infusion of new blood to keep it simple, but why are all materials addressed to new members? Those who keep plowing ahead should be ignored? Apparently so.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:38 PM   #20
Tex

Quote:
Apostles didn't write it. They commissioned a committee, and certain talks were omitted, such as don't kill the little bird speech.

I recognize the need with infusion of new blood to keep it simple, but why are all materials addressed to new members? Those who keep plowing ahead should be ignored? Apparently so.
You must have a really tough time propping your lids open each April and October.