cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2008, 10:56 PM   #1
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road
Default Graham Watson is High.

Thinking any non-BCS has the slightest of chance at the BCS Championship Game.

Quote:
What we learned from the Independents and non-BCS, Week 4

September 21, 2008 4:40 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Graham Watson

1. BYU is the non-BCS' best hope: No, not for a BCS bid, there are a still five other teams with undefeated records, but the Cougars might be the non-BCS' best hope for a national championship bid. I know, I know, it's only the fifth weekend of the season. Trust me, I've said the same thing a gazillion times to BYU fans. But you can't deny that there's something special in this team. After its controversial win against Washington, the Cougars have gone on to outscore their opponents 103-0. That's dominant no matter whom the Cougars are playing. The Cougars have their highest national ranking since 2001, and if things continue to go the way they're going, they'll be in the Top 8 by the time they meet Utah in November.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:58 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder what the computer models will look like in terms of bCS forumula if we get to #2 in the polls.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:06 PM   #3
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
I agree that the chance is miniscule, but I don't think it's zero, and the only reason it's not zero is that there are people talking about it. This is the second national commentator I've seen mention it (neither of whom with Utah ties). The more it's mentioned, the less crazy it becomes until by the end of the year, there's a small contingent talking about it. Other teams would have to really cooperate, but I don't think the chance is zero.

It reminds of 84 when that first voter gave us a #1 vote. I don't know who it was, I don't even think we were in the top ten at the time, and it generated some talk that someone thought we deserved a #1 vote. Pretty soon, we got more and more talk and we ended up there.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:08 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I agree that the chance is miniscule, but I don't think it's zero, and the only reason it's not zero is that there are people talking about it. This is the second national commentator I've seen mention it (neither of whom with Utah ties). The more it's mentioned, the less crazy it becomes until by the end of the year, there's a small contingent talking about it. Other teams would have to really cooperate, but I don't think the chance is zero.

It reminds of 84 when that first voter gave us a #1 vote. I don't know who it was, I don't even think we were in the top ten at the time, and it generated some talk that someone thought we deserved a #1 vote. Pretty soon, we got more and more talk and we ended up there.
I know who that anonymous voter was who first voted us #1. Hint: not a mortal body, and does not live on earth.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:10 PM   #5
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I know who that anonymous voter was who first voted us #1. Hint: not a mortal body, and does not live on earth.
LOL...I can't wait till this one gets quoted on UFN. Pretty soon we'll be hearing how "zoobs are so lame...they think God voted for them to win the NC."
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:15 PM   #6
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
LOL...I can't wait till this one gets quoted on UFN. Pretty soon we'll be hearing how "zoobs are so lame...they think God voted for them to win the NC."
I "know" God voted for BYU, with every fiber of my being.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:52 PM   #7
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

It is near impossible, but there is a chance (and it is better than Lloyd Christmas's odds).

BYU has 8 games left, and they currently sit at #11 in both major polls. The computer polls are looking pretty nice right now too for the Cougars. I think they will debut in the BCS polls at higher than their national ranking average.

With 9 weeks left in the season, there are lots of chances for the teams ahead of BYU to lose (BYU could lose also, but I am assuming they go undefeated here for the sake of discussion). Several of the teams ahead of BYU play each other (like Alabama v Georgia on Saturday) so some will have a loss for sure.

BYU would need the SEC champion to have 2 losses, in all likelihood, plus the Big 12 champion. USC is almost a lock for the title game (they play in a worse conference than the MWC this year- nobody is good in the Pac 10 other than USC). The Big 10, ACC and Big East are awful, so I think BYU finishes ahead of their champion if they have one loss. PSU and S Florida would finish ahead of BYU if they were undefeated.

So, Big 12 champ needs 2 losses (I think- the conference looks too good to let 1 loss keep the champ behind BYU). OU could lose to Missouri, Texas, TCU, Texas Tech, or maybe be upset by Nebraska. Missouri could lose to Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado, Kansas, or maybe be upset by someone else (their defense is not impressive, but their offense looks spectacular).

SEC: Good odds the champ has 2 losses. LSU, Georgia, Alabama (not sold on them yet), Auburn, Florida, South Carolina- that is a very deep conference, and they will beat each other up.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:07 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This won't get on ufn. If it was posted on Jefe's board, it would, but the zoots that would post a link don't post here.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:08 AM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
You are 100% correct.

No way in hell a non-BCS team ever plays for that fake championship.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:20 AM   #10
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I wonder what the computer models will look like in terms of bCS forumula if we get to #2 in the polls.

Forget the BCS formula. The BCS has been so watered down over the years that it now, effectively, comes down to only one input: the human voters. The voters determine the two teams in the title game, and the voters are not going to put a non-BCS team in the game, because the voters are coaches and it's not in the best interest of most of the coaches for that to happen. If you guys head in to "championship Saturday" in number two of the BCS, you guys will have a bye (you don't play a conference championship, I think), and somehow they'll find a way to knock you down to 3 or lower after the dust settles Saturday evening. It ain't fair, but it is what it is.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote