cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2006, 11:22 PM   #81
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
What I'm getting at is that you've leveled what I'd call a serious charge against somebody who says he currently holds a recommend. You've told him that he should turn it in because he's lying to his Bishop/Stake Pres. I've simply asked you to tell me which question he'd be lying about. You've told me only "a great deal of them."

Perhaps you've called for his recommend a bit hastily. If he believes he sustains the Prophet, has a testimony of Jesus Christ, does not affiliate with apostate groups, and keeps his covenants then he gets a recommend. His opinions beyond those questions are just that; his opinions. If he's not actively seeking to present his opinions as doctrine then he's welcome to them.

While I lately have agreed with nothing that Fus has posted regarding religion, I think calling for his recommend is out of line.
I haven't called for his reccomend. I've said that he's been dishonest in his representation of holding one and that I'm personally offended that he does. Going into the Temple is privilege, not a right, just because someone has dishonestly answered questions that they don't believe in. The guy espouses anti-church doctrine for hells sakes, but of course I'm sure his Bishop nor Stake President are not aware of this.

Why someone would choose to blithely dismiss this is in my opinion, wrong...but oh well, I've been wrong many times myself before and maybe this is one of those times.

That's up to Fus and his Conscience....oh wait...since he's actually his own Holy Ghost I guess that doesn't really matter....

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 08-16-2006 at 11:25 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:47 PM   #82
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
I haven't called for his reccomend. I've said that he's been dishonest in his representation of holding one and that I'm personally offended that he does. Going into the Temple is privilege, not a right, just because someone has dishonestly answered questions that they don't believe in. The guy espouses anti-church doctrine for hells sakes, but of course I'm sure his Bishop nor Stake President are not aware of this.

Why someone would choose to blithely dismiss this is in my opinion, wrong...but oh well, I've been wrong many times myself before and maybe this is one of those times.

That's up to Fus and his Conscience....oh wait...since he's actually his own Holy Ghost I guess that doesn't really matter....
Sounds to me like you've got too much energy about who does and who doesn't have a temple recommend. I'm guessing your own personal issues are the root of that, not fussy's. If fus is serious about what he posts (which he probably isn't) then I think don't think he's a Mormon or a Christian and he's some sort of wierd mix of Brigham Young Mormonism and Buddhism. But those beliefs doen't offend me and if he believes he's worthy of temple recommend, that certainly doesn't offend me.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:50 PM   #83
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Why spend so much time agonizing over it? If he is going to the temple unworthily, he'll have his reward. If he is going worthily, more power to him. Agonizing over it doesn't help you any.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:23 AM   #84
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie
What happened to RockyBalboa turning over a new leaf?

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthr...1749#post31749
It was an act, so he could join the crypt.

Rocky and I are like two of King Lear's daughters. The Crypt Keepers are like King Lear. Lear asks his daughters, "Tell me how much you love me?" Rocky speaks. Robin speaks. King Lear makes a choice. There are consequences.

Enjoy Rocky folks. He is all yours.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:44 PM   #85
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick It In Him
Why spend so much time agonizing over it? If he is going to the temple unworthily, he'll have his reward. If he is going worthily, more power to him. Agonizing over it doesn't help you any.
No agonizing here, just my opinion
Old 08-17-2006, 04:03 PM   #86
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug
You've completely missed the boat on why God told them not to partake of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. He purposefully set up a situation whereby they had to transgress in order to become fallen, understand good from evil (in other words, LEARN HOW TO JUDGE and then act accordingly), live by faith (Abraham 3), multiply and replenish the earth and so forth. These are the very things we needed to do and experience in order to be come like God, as we all signed off on it in the pre-mortal existence. We weren't going to get anywhere with Adam and Eve leaving the tree alone because God didn't want them judging.

If we don't exercise judgement, we simply will not be able to become more like God; we will be tossed to and fro by the various winds of doctrine/philosophy.

If I read stuff from Robin Finderson, you, Seattle Ute, Archaea, Gordon B. Hinckley, Mormon, etc. how do I know what I should do in the absence of exercising judgement?
I've been swamped at work, so it's been hard to keep up with this thread. -Don't any of you work??? (c:

Yes, God knew we would come and eat the judging fruit. He wanted us to. We needed to come here and experience the various hells that it creates.
But the garden parable gives us a key. The trees are mutually exclusive. You can't have both. Only one. Alma 32 talk all about how to wean ourselves from the judging fruit and eat from the tree of life. So does Lehi's dream.

Choices (which we should make) and judgement are different.

Regards,
Brian
Old 08-17-2006, 04:04 PM   #87
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
No agonizing here, just my opinion
Fair enough. If you are personally offended by it though, I would say you are too emotionally involved.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 10:13 PM   #88
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
It was an act, so he could join the crypt.

Rocky and I are like two of King Lear's daughters. The Crypt Keepers are like King Lear. Lear asks his daughters, "Tell me how much you love me?" Rocky speaks. Robin speaks. King Lear makes a choice. There are consequences.

Enjoy Rocky folks. He is all yours.
For all of Rocky's faults, he has also demonstrated a willingness to acknowledge that he was wrong and tried to be better. All this, WITHOUT threats of suspension from the board.

I'll be the first to admit that I've been overly contemptuous of Robin at times, and the first to acknowledge that when he feels like making a contribution to the board, it's been a good one. I would nevertheless point out that Rocky has kept up his "act" since being admitted into the crypt.

Last edited by All-American; 08-19-2006 at 12:27 AM.
All-American is offline   Reply With Quote