cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 05:08 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
you gotta be kidding me.

stuff gets on national geographic cuz they're interesting.
And sometimes stuff gets on TV because you can slop through the science to make an interesting story for the viewing audience. Good science would not be interesting for the most part to a lay audience.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:09 PM   #12
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
you gotta be kidding me.

stuff gets on national geographic cuz they're interesting.
Well I definitely do some ribbing, as it does certainly seem softer than biological, but compared with some of the psychology, sociology, and whatnot with which I'm familiar it doesn't really stand out as being soft. I'm supposed to take one cultural class but I'm procrastinating it. Maybe after I do I'll gain more respect.

Last edited by woot; 10-29-2007 at 05:11 PM.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:10 PM   #13
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Well I definitely do some ribbing, as it does certainly seem softer than biological, but compared with some of the psychology, sociology, and whatnot with which I'm familiar it doesn't really stand out as being soft.
In what industry does a biological anthropologist function? It sounds very esoteric and not too practical.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:15 PM   #14
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
In what industry does a biological anthropologist function? It sounds very esoteric and not too practical.
Uh... they can lecture in medical/dental schools on occasion, or specialize in forensics and work at a crime lab. They make good museum curators, I guess. Mostly it's not for making money. I'd wager that 90%+ of PhDs in the field just research/teach.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:36 PM   #15
Archaea

Quote:
Uh... they can lecture in medical/dental schools on occasion, or specialize in forensics and work at a crime lab. They make good museum curators, I guess. Mostly it's not for making money. I'd wager that 90%+ of PhDs in the field just research/teach.
That's what's weird about much of the esoteric stuff, unless you work in a museum or at a university, not much real world application. It's often important to have people to research new techniques, as R&D is very expensive.

However, the liberal arts professors have the toughest time finding real world applications.

Psychologists, sociologists and the like can find useful applications.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:31 PM   #16
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
That's what's weird about much of the esoteric stuff, unless you work in a museum or at a university, not much real world application. It's often important to have people to research new techniques, as R&D is very expensive.

However, the liberal arts professors have the toughest time finding real world applications.

Psychologists, sociologists and the like can find useful applications.
It's true, and it's one of the more unfortunate aspects of it. Obviously I'm biased, but I think that science is where our best and brightest need to be, and often that's where they are, but many prefer to go into medicine, dentistry, business, law, some of the softer but more functional sciences, etc. as that's where the money is.

I gave up a very promising career in business, because I found that I was so bored doing it that I compensated by spending all my money on toys. Now I'm on the other end of the spectrum, where I love what I do, but wouldn't mind a few more toys. Luckily, my wife is continuing in the business so I might end up with the best of both worlds.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:32 PM   #17
Archaea

Quote:
Luckily, my wife is continuing in the business so I might end up with the best of both worlds.
A kept man and a love slave?
Old 10-30-2007, 03:38 AM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I haven't heard that at all. If anything there's jealousy that cultural anthopologists are constantly getting shows made on national geographic. Certainly there are harder and softer subdisciplines in every field, but cultural has some decently challenging stuff.
Anna Nichole Smith had a tv show too.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:48 PM   #19
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It's true, and it's one of the more unfortunate aspects of it. Obviously I'm biased, but I think that science is where our best and brightest need to be, and often that's where they are, but many prefer to go into medicine, dentistry, business, law, some of the softer but more functional sciences, etc. as that's where the money is.
I guess part of the question is whether people know what is good for them or not. There is money in those areas because the market place demands them. Then again, the market place also demands large quantities of high grade but reasonably priced weed.

This is why it is important for government to subsidize some of the science that the market won't recognize as valuable until it bears fruit much later. I have mixed feelings about whether we should subsidize arts and sciences that have no practical application.

Here is a poor example, but some times I think about Michael Quinn who probably knows as much as anyone about LDS History but can't get work because he is an apostate. On the one hand I think "what a waste of knowledge." On the other hand I think "learn to do something else and get a job."

I lean towards supporting these things with my tax dollars, but this necessarily means there is a lot I am supporting that I think has zero value, just so that a few things which I do think have value can also be supported.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:52 PM   #20
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I guess part of the question is whether people know what is good for them or not. There is money in those areas because the market place demands them. Then again, the market place also demands large quantities of high grade but reasonably priced weed.

This is why it is important for government to subsidize some of the science that the market won't recognize as valuable until it bears fruit much later. I have mixed feelings about whether we should subsidize arts and sciences that have no practical application.

Here is a poor example, but some times I think about Michael Quinn who probably knows as much as anyone about LDS History but can't get work because he is an apostate. On the one hand I think "what a waste of knowledge." On the other hand I think "learn to do something else and get a job."

I lean towards supporting these things with my tax dollars, but this necessarily means there is a lot I am supporting that I think has zero value, just so that a few things which I do think have value can also be supported.
It is a difficult balance to strike, supporting zero value elements in hopes that valued elements can slip through. I suppose the flip side of the argument is that valued elements will always find a way to be supported whereas the zero valued elements can pass away. There is no perfect answer, but with our high budget, perhaps we weed out nonessential, zero value elements for a while.