cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2008, 04:55 PM   #11
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
SS President. When they called me I was a little surprised because I thought you actually had to attend SS to be the president. I guess they figured as long as I was just walking the halls I might as well be making sure all the classes were covered. I've got team teachers in all my classes with responsible people and my 1st councilor is a young mullah that really helps a ton. It's been a pretty good job.
SS Presidency is the promised land of callings. No better calling in the Church.

Ward Mission Leader is the worst calling, hands down.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:59 PM   #12
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
SS Presidency is the promised land of callings. No better calling in the Church.

I was 2nd counselor in the SS Presidency of my last ward with a stable of former bishops, a stake president, and mission president as my GD teachers. That was the best calling.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:02 PM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I've slipped between the cracks for now. It's been great and I'll do what it takes to remain this way for a long time.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:05 PM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post

Worst calling:

Scout Master.

Next worst:

WML.

Best calling:

CTR 8 teacher.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:07 PM   #15
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Worst calling:

Scout Master.

Next worst:

WML.
I tend to agree with that. Although you have to throw Bishop in there somewhere - maybe at #3, but it should be mentioned with the other two.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:09 PM   #16
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Worst calling:

Scout Master.

Next worst:

WML.

Best calling:

CTR 8 teacher.
That's probably where I'd land things too. I was Ward Clerk for a long time of a very transient ward. That wasn't too enjoyable keeping up with all that. I spent most of the 2nd and 3rd hours in the clerks office and running around the building. Plus our ward was so small I didn't have a finance clerk so I had to stay to do tithing each week. Not to mention sit in on the bishopric meetings before church. I'd spend 5-6 hours at church each Sunday and still have to go in to the office probably every other week on Tuesday or Wednesday for an hour or so.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:12 PM   #17
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
That's probably where I'd land things too. I was Ward Clerk for a long time of a very transient ward. That wasn't too enjoyable keeping up with all that. I spent most of the 2nd and 3rd hours in the clerks office and running around the building. Plus our ward was so small I didn't have a finance clerk so I had to stay to do tithing each week. Not to mention sit in on the bishopric meetings before church. I'd spend 5-6 hours at church each Sunday and still have to go in to the office probably every other week on Tuesday or Wednesday for an hour or so.
I really enjoyed Ward Clerk with the new software. I spend Sundays going to the meetings, and then one evening a week keeping up on stuff and had no other responsibility. I mean how many callings let you play on the computer? It's much better with better quality computers, and trying to figure out the new program iterations. Plus we had great membership and financial clerks. Getting the groups to report their numbers was easy and entering even easier. We implemented many reforms, such as placing lost members in a SLC area to get them off our records.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:26 PM   #18
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Sunday school.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:34 PM   #19
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

I was released as WML about a year ago. That was not a sad day. Currently I am:

1. Stake Sunday School 1st Counelor. This is possibly the best calling ever. My main duty is to go to the party that the Stake President throws for all Stake Workers every Christmas. Come to think of it, that might be my only duty. A couple of months ago, the new guy on the High Council was assigned to us, and asked when we held our Presidency meetings. We laughed and laughed. We did have one to make him feel better.

2. Webelos Leader. I don't really like the fact that I have to be at the Church every Tuesday night, but I enjoy being with the boys. It has some of the positives of being a Scoutmaster, without most of the negatives (time commitment is much less, boys aren't as snotty when they are only 10, no overnight trips or scout camp)

3. Assistant Ward Choir Director. You didn't know this calling could exist, did you?

4 and 5. Last Basketball season I was called to be the Youth B-Ball coach in our ward and the Assistant Stake Adult Basketball Supervisor, or something like that. Coaching the boys was fun. The stake job was, I think, mainly a way to get a ref at every game without feeling guilty about asking me every week. I haven't been released from these, so I'm not sure if I am still doing them this year, or if my term of office just expired.

I think that's all of them, though I may be forgetting one. If so, I'm not doing a very good job at it.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:37 PM   #20
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

1st couns. in YMs. The asst. does activity night, I teach on sundays.
a friend (who travels a lot) teaches GD, so I get to sub for him about once a month.
So, I have an enjoyable gig right now.
Other favs: nursery, sem, (any) primary teacher.

Yes, WML is worst calling. I hate camping, so scout master would be equally fragrant. Stake callings (never had one though) appear to be lame too, especially outside the west where the stakes can be several hundred miles across.