cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah
Default Maybe I'm just a pessimist

but I don't understand Dems gloating. I have been resigned to the fact that Obama was going to win this election once he put Hillary away. But are Dems gloating because their party is back in the house or because they really believe that Obama will save this country?

For the record I have zero faith in either candidate to right this ship that is the USA. More than anything I find it sad commentary when these two are the best our country has to offer. Funny, because I felt this way 4 years ago and 8 years ago as well.

I'm more interested in seeing Obama's cabinet. With the Dems controlling everything I want to see how Obama implements his policies. I fear a democrat backlash in 4 years like we've seen with the Republican party the past 2 years.

For the sake of our country and freedoms I hope I am wrong and that whoever should be elected can restore my faith in the presidential office.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

these two are better than Bush, Kerry, and Gore.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:52 PM   #3
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
these two are better than Bush, Kerry, and Gore.
I'll concede that. But I think there is more on the plate for Obama and McCain than those three had to deal with.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
but I don't understand Dems gloating. I have been resigned to the fact that Obama was going to win this election once he put Hillary away. But are Dems gloating because their party is back in the house or because they really believe that Obama will save this country?

For the record I have zero faith in either candidate to right this ship that is the USA. More than anything I find it sad commentary when these two are the best our country has to offer. Funny, because I felt this way 4 years ago and 8 years ago as well.

I'm more interested in seeing Obama's cabinet. With the Dems controlling everything I want to see how Obama implements his policies. I fear a democrat backlash in 4 years like we've seen with the Republican party the past 2 years.

For the sake of our country and freedoms I hope I am wrong and that whoever should be elected can restore my faith in the presidential office.
Gloating is what everyone does. There was plenty of it among republicans after the 94 elections -- so much of it in fact that they failed to get anything meaningful done. In their cockiness they decided shutting down the government entirely was a good thing. The public wasn't amused and they paid for it in subsequent elections, including getting Clinton voted back in for a second term.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:26 PM   #5
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfah View Post

I think that the next President is DOA.

This is a huge mess and it is going to take raising taxes and cutting benefits to get things under control. Doing one or the other usually gets somebody testy, doing both gets everybody testy.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:12 PM   #6
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

I'm not even sure what gloating you are talking about. I still see a lot of hesitation in the people I see speaking. Wanting to appear optimistic but afraid to jinx it. That sort of thing.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:17 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I think the immediate gloating is simply a result of the trash talking going back and forth about each candidate.

I seriously doubt anyone is gloating because they think that Obama will solve all our problems.

Obama ran on "Change." He didnt run on "Dearth of Problems."

This mess will require give and take from both sides of the aisle, as well as our citizenry.

For example, I have personally committed to up the intensity and focus of my sarcasm and jokes, in the hopes that it will somehow get this country back to where it needs to be. What are YOU prepared to do?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:21 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Many can't wait to exact revenge upon the "others".

You will see special prosecutors appointed most likely, sweeping regulatory changes which will be heralded as godsends but in the end which will continue economic malaises.

It's revenge based.

Bush and vicariously by proxy, Republican ideals, which Bush never endorsed or supported, became a lightening rod for incompetent right wing religious nuts. Unfortunately, the good aspects of conservatism are lumped into together with the bad.

So, those jealous of successful business will seek revenge.

Those who oppose the military will exact revenge.

Those who do not believe we've advanced significantly in any liberal agenda item will seek revenge. This annihilation of the Republican Party will be interpreted as a mandate, so much blood letting will occur, and hopefully, we will have dissension result from the partisanship which usually ensues a hostile takeover of a country.

It reminds me of China after Mao Zedong drove the Guomingdang to Formosa. Every capitalist or supporter of the old regime was annihilated. Ours won't happen in a literal sense, but in a figurative sense. Anybody believing this will be benign is extremely naive.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:42 PM   #9
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point

My hope is Obama can inspire (many), say what needs to be said & challenge us as Americans to rise above the mess, meet the demands of the future, like he has challenged the African American community to address their problems from within.

At the time I despised Reagan for his politics, but the guy was a leader who helped restore pride & faith in the nation, just through his personality & leadership style. I would hope that Obama can approximate what Reagan did, in that regard. We need it.

On the broader political scale, the difference between McCain & Obama is pretty slim.

Like the pragmatic work done between pro-life & pro-choice proponents who work together toward a reduction in abortions (since nobody wants more of them), what is needed is emphasis on common ground & pushing the nation forward on that basis.

We need it.
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:44 PM   #10
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
For example, I have personally committed to up the intensity and focus of my sarcasm and jokes, in the hopes that it will somehow get this country back to where it needs to be. What are YOU prepared to do?
While you're at it, try to make them funny.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote