cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2008, 07:59 PM   #1
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any truth to the rumor...

that NBC and CBS didn't televise Fred Thompson's speech or kept interrupting it?

If so, has anyone heard the reason?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
that NBC and CBS didn't televise Fred Thompson's speech or kept interrupting it?

If so, has anyone heard the reason?
do the non-cable networks show any of the conventions anymore? I thought they stopped giving them much time because they have become infomercials with little news coming out of them and because there are plenty of cable news outlets to cover them.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:39 PM   #3
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
do the non-cable networks show any of the conventions anymore? I thought they stopped giving them much time because they have become infomercials with little news coming out of them and because there are plenty of cable news outlets to cover them.
What about those of us who only get the basic broadcast channels?
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Dunno. I saw his speech on MSNBC. I figured that would be the place that would definitely broadcast it because it would allow Olberman to go off on it.

As soon as Thompson finished, I switched the channel, so I'm not sure if Olberman went nuts or not, though I can't imagine he didn't.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:47 PM   #5
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I'm amazed no one has made any commentary on last night's speeches. No one on CG watching? Nothing worth commenting on?

Fred Thompson's speech was moving and evocative. It was hard to listen to his retelling of the familiar McCain personal story and see any appeal in Barack Obama's resume. An especially damaging line, speaking of McCain's time as a POW:

Quote:
We hear a lot of talk about hope these days. John McCain knows about hope. That's all he had.
And of course, the much reported line:

Quote:
It's pretty clear there are two questions we'll never have to ask ourselves: "Who is this man?" and "Can we trust this man with the presidency?"
Lieberman's was more bland for a Republican convention, but the irony of having the 2000 Democrat VP candidate keynoting 8-years later is quite remarkable. (Zell Miller, anyone?) One of his best zingers is in my signature.

A nice set of speeches to kick off (sort of) the convention period.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 09-03-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:51 PM   #6
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
What about those of us who only get the basic broadcast channels?
I watch them online at cnn.com

That Reggie Aqui is HOT.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:59 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

I really enjoyed both Thompson and Lieberman's speeches.

I liked that Thompson showed some enthusiasm in how he presented what he feels are Palin's strengths and liked what you pointed out what he said about McCain. It reminded me why he is who I wanted as the Republican nominee. I would have liked to see him hammer Obama a bit more on his leftist policies, but I suppose he is nicer than I am.

I thought Lieberman was great in his appeal to Dems and Independents to think about who would be right for the country. It was a good move on his part to say good things about Obama, but that this wasn't the right time for him to lead the country. He can't be accused of being nasty, though I'm sure there will be some Dems out there who will be ticked that he's not behind Obama.