cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 06:36 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
You said you played fretless guitars (not specifying bass) and I asked which ones, and you responded by saying you played a les paul and that you admired Zappa's fretless playing. So you can see why I misunderstood your response?

Practicing on a fretted helps get the spacing, but it is a long way from doing it competently. There is also the sound produced issue I referred to before.
I like the sound of fretted guitars and did not focus upon the bass guitar issue, for which I had very little experience. I can see your confusion.

Do you like the sound of fretless guitars?
Old 08-15-2007, 06:40 PM   #12
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I like the sound of fretted guitars and did not focus upon the bass guitar issue, for which I had very little experience. I can see your confusion.

Do you like the sound of fretless guitars?
If you want to have a non-Western sound they can be good, but they sound muted (the sound is coming off of your finger instead of off the fret). For some reason the fretless bass is more popular.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 08-15-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:46 PM   #13
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
If you want to have a non-Western sound they can be good, but they sound muted (the sound is coming off of your finger instead of off the fret). For some reason the fretless base is more popular.

I think the reason fretless bass guitars are more popular is becasue many bass players start on uprights and so are comfortable with it and becasue you can slide into walking lines a little bit, cheating towards a pitch if you will, on a fretless that gives it a bit of a bite. You can also slide and noodle around coninuously, although that is sort of gimmicky.

Very few guitar players (I don't know if any) start on a fretless guitar and so are not very comfortable with the idea. I have never seen a fretless guitar (not a bass) in person. It would require very refined techinque.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:54 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I think the reason fretless bass guitars are more popular is becasue many bass players start on uprights and so are comfortable with it and becasue you can slide into walking lines a little bit, cheating towards a pitch if you will, on a fretless that gives it a bit of a bite. You can also slide and noodle around coninuously, although that is sort of gimmicky.

Very few guitar players (I don't know if any) start on a fretless guitar and so are not very comfortable with the idea. I have never seen a fretless guitar (not a bass) in person. It would require very refined techinque.

MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:55 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Go to the 2 minute mark of the 2nd youtube video to see a very unique style.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote