cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Die OPEC. Die.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/17/bu.../17oil.html?hp

This is good news. I have a suspicion the run up in oil prices was a substantial factor in causing all this economic calamity. The markets really are a zero sum game.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

OPEC will cut production to boost cost per barrel. They really liked the $$ from higher prices.

It's time to start drilling on our soil.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:42 PM   #3
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

I thought the following quote was very interesting:

Quote:
Iran and Venezuela both need oil prices at $95 a barrel to balance their budgets, Russia needs $70, and Saudi Arabia needs $55 a barrel, according to Deutsche Bank estimates.
None of those countries are countries I would consider "friends" of the U.S. Screw those countries. Bring on domestic nuclear, oil shale, and offshore drilling. Let's stop sending our capital overseas and funding regimes that hate us.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

None of those countries are countries I would consider "friends" of the U.S. Screw those countries. Bring on domestic nuclear, oil shale, and offshore drilling. Let's stop sending our capital overseas and funding regimes that hate us.
A-freaking-men.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:03 PM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

No American should get warm and fuzzies for OPEC. I'm sure Lebowki and Waters do.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:36 PM   #6
SCcoug

SCcoug is on a distinguished road

The problem is that we won't be able to have our cake and eat it too. We want to continue using as much oil as we do, get from a cheap as we can, and be picky about where it comes form. I don't think we can have all three.
To really become energy independent or OPEC independent we'd have to make changes, many of which could be painful. Eventually we'll have to find some other energy source as oil is a finite resource.

The US uses 20.6 mbd of oil but only produces around 5 mbd. If we are to continue using that much oil we have to import it.
Here is where the rest of it comes from. In July we imported 6.121 mbd from OPEC countries 2.493 mbd came from the mid east. So to offset that foreign production by domestic production we'd have to more than double our domestic output. Deep water drilling, oil shale ect are all more expensive to use and are give less energy return on energy invested. If we still had more cheap source we'd be using them already. Replacing OPEC oil with these sources will push up the price at the pump, winter heating oil, food prices ect.

Energy independence is a good campaign phrase but so far there aren't any easy solutions to do it and I doubt we have the political will to do it.
SCcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:23 AM   #7
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

You shut your whore mouth, T. Boone knows the way. A more selfless man I've never met.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:41 PM   #8
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
You shut your whore mouth, T. Boone knows the way. A more selfless man I've never met.
Says a veritable natural gas baron.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote