cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2008, 08:40 PM   #81
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
He even compared them to dogs, no?

Oh, this drives the rent-a-intellectuals crazy.
Not me. The OT is just a good book, and an important relic. I don't look to any tribal ethos in deciding right from wrong. Cite the OT as justification for racism and any truly enlightened person will just write you off. I'm trying to help you here, Tex.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:41 PM   #82
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
This type of open-mindedness within the LDS Church is so refreshing to me, and I wish there were more like you. (Of course I'm assuming you're LDS, are you?).
He's an ALUF.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:42 PM   #83
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
That's the gist of the argument. God kept a bunch of people in ghetto, so to speak. Sounds like an asshole.

He's not.
Just because we fail to understand why God operates in what appears to be a prejudiced or inequitable fashion doesn't mean he fits that description. That's very small-minded.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:45 PM   #84
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Just because we fail to understand why God operates in what appears to be a prejudiced or inequitable fashion doesn't mean he fits that description. That's very small-minded.
Just because you have an idea of God's qualities that doesn't fit the evidence doesn't mean that the evidence is wrong. That's very small-minded.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:47 PM   #85
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Just because you have an idea of God's qualities that doesn't fit the evidence doesn't mean that the evidence is wrong. That's very small-minded.
What in the hell is that supposed to mean? Because I don't call God an "asshole", I'm small-minded? Yeah, that makes sense.

Solon wanted an alternative theory, so I tried one. I don't know what the truth is, I don't purport that my alternative theory is the correct one. However, I'm open-minded enough to know that I don't know the mind of God and that there are any number of possible reasons why certain groups of people don't appear to get equal treatment in this life and it isn't due to the crass attribution certain people keep using.

EDIT: To Solon's credit, he didn't bait me by asking for an alternative theory and then pounce on me like everyone else has.

EDIT2: By my way of thinking, Brian, giving the Chinese Confucius isn't nearly as good as giving the Americans Joseph Smith, or keeping Christ locked up in the narrow confines of Israel. God obviously had his reasons, but I'm at a loss to know why.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 02-22-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:49 PM   #86
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
you're making a priori assumptions against the supernatural. those soft-headed anthropologists, committing every methodological error conceivable.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:54 PM   #87
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
you're making a priori assumptions against the supernatural. those soft-headed anthropologists, committing every methodological error conceivable.
That's great fun. I was mostly just juxtaposing the opposite interpretation to demonstrate that his position wasn't the only available one. Still, it's just good science to assume the non-existence of something that by definition can never be observed. If the supernatural realm (whatever that means) could be observed or otherwise tested, it would become part of nature. Those soft-headed Mormons, committing every methodological error conceivable.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:55 PM   #88
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Life doesn't appear fair, but I think when everything is said and done, it will be fair. I believe that everyone gets the *perfect* experience they needed to have here on earth.

I think the only way to conclude that God kept some folks in the ghetto because they ticked Him off at one point is He's an asshole. I don't buy that. People are assholes, not God.

I don't think the issue is fairness, the issue is God keeping people in the ghetto for some reason, while the blessed few get to live in the nice part of town. I reject that kind of God.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:05 PM   #89
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Life doesn't appear fair, but I think when everything is said and done, it will be fair. I believe that everyone gets the *perfect* experience they needed to have here on earth.
Agreed.

Quote:
I think the only way to conclude that God kept some folks in the ghetto because they ticked Him off at one point is He's an asshole.
I fail to see how that's the only conclusion you can draw. I don't think people are in the "ghetto" necessarily due to them or their parents or their 35th great grandparents pissing God off. What other reasons could there be? Probably many reasons, but just because I can't think of them doesn't mean they don't exist.

Quote:
I don't think the issue is fairness, the issue is God keeping people in the ghetto for some reason, while the blessed few get to live in the nice part of town. I reject that kind of God.
You just said "I believe that everyone gets the *perfect* experience they needed to have here on earth." Hence, your quote above appears to be self-contradictory.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:07 PM   #90
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Still, it's just good science to assume the non-existence of something that by definition can never be observed.
that would work if all you were doing is science. when we're talking about God that's irrelevant.