cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2008, 03:59 PM   #1
Great in 2008

Great in 2008 is on a distinguished road
Default Huckabee is not what he says

something is wrong here people. This is disturbing on so many levels.
http://www.newsweek.com/id/78241
Here is an excerpt:
As Mike Huckabee gains in the polls, the former Arkansas governor is finding that his record in office is getting more scrutiny. One issue likely to get attention is his handling of a sensitive family matter: allegations that one of his sons was involved in the hanging of a stray dog at a Boy Scout camp in 1998. The incident led to the dismissal of David Huckabee, then 17, from his job as a counselor at Camp Pioneer in Hatfield, Ark. It also prompted the local prosecuting attorney bombarded with complaints generated by a national animal-rights groupto write a letter to the Arkansas state police seeking help investigating whether David and another teenager had violated state animal-cruelty laws. The state police never granted the request, and no charges were ever filed. But John Bailey, then the director of Arkansas's state police, tells NEWSWEEK that Governor Huckabee's chief of staff and personal lawyer both leaned on him to write a letter officially denying the local prosecutor's request. Bailey, a career officer who had been appointed chief by Huckabee's Democratic predecessor, said he viewed the lawyer's intervention as improper and terminated the conversation. Seven months later, he was called into Huckabee's office and fired. "I've lost confidence in your ability to do your job," Bailey says Huckabee told him. One reason Huckabee cited was "I couldn't get you to help me with my son when I had that problem," according to Bailey. "Without question, [Huckabee] was making a conscious attempt to keep the state police from investigating his son," says I. C. Smith, the former FBI chief in Little Rock, who worked closely with Bailey and called him a "courageous" and "very solid" professional.

This is what Iowa wants? Don't blow it Iowa...
Old 01-01-2008, 04:39 PM   #2
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Huckabee won't win because Huckabee can't win. The only reason he and Fred Thompson are running at all is because of the Republicans who vainly ask, "Are you sure there isn't anybody else?"

Huckabee MAY win the Iowa Caucus, though I think he will slip just behind Romney. Then he will run out of money, out of momentum, and out of favor with the public that will finally take a serious look at the man and realize that he can never win a national election. The end result of his campaign will be that he crowded out some of the other nominees (and at the present, that is everybody but Romney).