cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2008, 07:29 PM   #11
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Hot Fuss came out of nowhere and besides capturing all of the youngsters out there, its clearly 80's inspired sound grabbed a lot of us old guys too. I've liked everything I've heard since and am excited for the new album.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:39 PM   #12
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Hot Fuss came out of nowhere and besides capturing all of the youngsters out there, its clearly 80's inspired sound grabbed a lot of us old guys too. I've liked everything I've heard since and am excited for the new album.
I whole heartedly concur. It is really rare for a band to have such a smash debut and then follow it up with a legitimately critically acclaimed second effort. Most bands hit the Sophomore slump and then fade out entirely (see The Strokes).

The Killers have a great formula and their music has a very broad appeal. Sam's Town showed a lot more depth...singles like "When You Were Young" have been re-arranged for the piano to provide for an alternative to the standard guitar pop.

Judging from tracks like Human and Spaceman, I think "Day and Age" is going to be another epic disc from them.

PS I dont count Sawdust since it is mostly just a b-side release, although still has good tracks.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:02 PM   #13
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I'm very slow to accept new music, mostly being stuck in the 80's.
There's a pretty good web site you should check out called Alternative Addiction. I've found a bunch of new bands that I never would have heard of otherwise. They feature bands that aren't rap, and aren't screaming metal. They have a bunch of free mp3's you can download and a podcast that's updated now and then. You'll find some really good stuff.

They also do interviews with bands. They posted one last week with Chris Martin, and he admits to being a Nickelback fan.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:20 AM   #14
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
PS I dont count Sawdust since it is mostly just a b-side release, although still has good tracks.
I really liked Sawdust.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote