cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2008, 03:00 AM   #1
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Burn After Reading--a solid B

Not the Coen Brothers' best by any stretch, but still very entertaining, at least if you like their work generally. I didn't take the missus, as it's littered with F bombs, which she hates, as well as one bit of gruesome violence. So I took my sister instead, who revels in such things.

I enjoy good actors playing stupid people, and this movie is filled with them. George Clooney, Brad Pitt, John Malkovich, Tilda Swinton, Richard Jenkins, Frances McDormand, David Rasche (Sledge Hammer) and J.K. Simmons--all of them very funny, if you like your humor dark. The wrap-up scene with Simmons and Rasche as CIA managers trying to figure out what happened is especially good.

The movie begins with Malkovich getting fired at the CIA. One of the officers tells him it's because he has a drinking problem. Malkovich responds, "Pettigrew, you're a Mormon, next to you EVERYONE has a drinking problem."
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:04 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
Not the Coen Brothers' best by any stretch, but still very entertaining, at least if you like their work generally. I didn't take the missus, as it's littered with F bombs, which she hates, as well as one bit of gruesome violence. So I took my sister instead, who revels in such things.

I enjoy good actors playing stupid people, and this movie is filled with them. George Clooney, Brad Pitt, John Malkovich, Tilda Swinton, Richard Jenkins, Frances McDormand, David Rasche (Sledge Hammer) and J.K. Simmons--all of them very funny, if you like your humor dark. The wrap-up scene with Simmons and Rasche as CIA managers trying to figure out what happened is especially good.

The movie begins with Malkovich getting fired at the CIA. One of the officers tells him it's because he has a drinking problem. Malkovich responds, "Pettigrew, you're a Mormon, next to you EVERYONE has a drinking problem."
George Clooney only acts stupid?

I didn't know that.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:07 AM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Malkovich has some serious issues with our church. He gave an interview once where he mentioned getting slobbered all over by an LDS guy on a cross country flight. Apparantly it was enough to turn him off from the gospel forever.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:16 AM   #4
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Malkovich has some serious issues with our church. He gave an interview once where he mentioned getting slobbered all over by an LDS guy on a cross country flight. Apparantly it was enough to turn him off from the gospel forever.
It would be great if the LDS guy were Elder Gene R. Cook. I suspect we'd get a different take on this incident. It was probably DDD after some bad dental work.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:29 AM   #5
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It would be great if the LDS guy were Elder Gene R. Cook. I suspect we'd get a different take on this incident. It was probably DDD after some bad dental work.
I know who it was and I'm not saying anything except that you're right, although the individual in question was kicking himself for forgetting to swipe a dental dam for the flight.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This may be your best yet.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:33 AM   #7
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I agree with your analysis completely -- I'd give it a B, too. I definitely didn't like it as much as Fargo or No Country for Old Men, but it was entertaining for people who like the Coen brothers' style. The Mormon line you reference got a pretty big laugh at the theater here in Houston.

Some guy brought his son who looked like he was about eight years old to the movie. Hard for me to believe anybody would subject a kid of that age to that type of movie. What is wrong with some people?
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:52 AM   #8
Gidget

Gidget is on a distinguished road

Quote:

or at least until he dies, then we'll reel him in.
I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PaloAltoCougar
Gidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:16 PM   #9
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
I agree with your analysis completely -- I'd give it a B, too. I definitely didn't like it as much as Fargo or No Country for Old Men, but it was entertaining for people who like the Coen brothers' style. The Mormon line you reference got a pretty big laugh at the theater here in Houston.

Some guy brought his son who looked like he was about eight years old to the movie. Hard for me to believe anybody would subject a kid of that age to that type of movie. What is wrong with some people?
I did not like Fargo or No Country--they were too disturbing for my tastes. I really liked Burn After Reading, more than O Brother and Raising Arizona. No one laughed in Mississippi at the Mormon joke and I was disappointed that I already knew it was coming.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:07 PM   #10
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
George Clooney only acts stupid?

I didn't know that.
Oh brother. Can you give it a rest? This is an entertainment thread.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote