cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Excitement for the ninth

I know this may be looked down on by both those who hate classical music and those who are true fans (for different reasons) but I am incredibly excited to go hear a performance of Beethoven's Ninth tomorrow with a full symphony and chorus. I think it is one of the more sublime masterpieces given to man from God (and yes, I believe that) and even though I have heard it many times, seeing it and hearing it live and well-performed is a transcendent experience. I am jazzed about this.

To show my nerdiness I am going to bring the score and follow along at parts, although at the climax you must do nothing but listen and let the power of the performance wash over you like waves at the beach.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm jealous. I run with the Ninth Symphony playing on my iPod frequently but I've never heard it live. Perhaps someday...
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

This may sound like a dumb question, but why would an educated classical music fan not like the Symphony Number 9?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:30 PM   #4
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
This may sound like a dumb question, but why would an educated classical music fan not like the Symphony Number 9?
I have been told that some of the intelligentsia considered it trite and overused.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:33 PM   #5
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

I remember attending the Opening Ceremonies for the Salt Lake Games, and Beethoven's Ninth came on at the end during the finale, with MOTAB singing the chorus and fireworks lighting up the Wasatch front. It was a real Rocky Mountain high.

And then I watched NBC's replay, and Costas says, as Beethoven's Ninth came on, and MOTAB began belting out the chorus, "and of course, Ode to Joy, just like at every other Olympics, it has to be Ode to Joy" or something like that. He said it in a sardonic, sarcastic tone of voice. And of course NBC ended its broadcast right in the middle as well.

I felt bitter about that. Enjoy the concert, Creek!
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:55 PM   #6
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
I remember attending the Opening Ceremonies for the Salt Lake Games, and Beethoven's Ninth came on at the end during the finale, with MOTAB singing the chorus and fireworks lighting up the Wasatch front. It was a real Rocky Mountain high.

And then I watched NBC's replay, and Costas says, as Beethoven's Ninth came on, and MOTAB began belting out the chorus, "and of course, Ode to Joy, just like at every other Olympics, it has to be Ode to Joy" or something like that. He said it in a sardonic, sarcastic tone of voice. And of course NBC ended its broadcast right in the middle as well.

I felt bitter about that. Enjoy the concert, Creek!

Perect example of what I am talking about. Plus, most people only hear the Ode to Joy and not the whole sympohony. Costas is a little twerp, at times.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:25 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Beethoven's #9 is totally played out! We are sick of it.

Sincerely,

Pachelbel's Canon in D Major
Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring
Vivaldi, La Primavera

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:13 PM   #8
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I know this may be looked down on by both those who hate classical music and those who are true fans (for different reasons) but I am incredibly excited to go hear a performance of Beethoven's Ninth tomorrow with a full symphony and chorus. I think it is one of the more sublime masterpieces given to man from God (and yes, I believe that) and even though I have heard it many times, seeing it and hearing it live and well-performed is a transcendent experience. I am jazzed about this.

To show my nerdiness I am going to bring the score and follow along at parts, although at the climax you must do nothing but listen and let the power of the performance wash over you like waves at the beach.
Is this with MTT at Davies Symphony Hall? That would be very cool. Our mission president imposed a rule that we could only listen to music that included the MoTab. Fortunately, we had a tape of the Ninth that included the MoTab, so we'd listen to the entire symphony, knowing the choir's presence at the end made it legit listening. We particularly liked it because our hausfrau's rooster outside our window would be quiet until the dramatic pause near the end and would then crow at the climax; it had excellent timing and near perfect pitch.

And Beethoven gets a little over the top, but so what? It's still superb. Such critics remind me of a review written in a Vienna newspaper in the early 1800's concerning a concert that included premieres of Beethoven's 5th and 6th symphonies, along with a couple of piano concerti, performed and conducted by the composer. The review was quite brief, as I recall, and simply said "Very disappointing." Did Waters or SU have Viennese ancestors?
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:27 PM   #9
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
Is this with MTT at Davies Symphony Hall? That would be very cool. Our mission president imposed a rule that we could only listen to music that included the MoTab. Fortunately, we had a tape of the Ninth that included the MoTab, so we'd listen to the entire symphony, knowing the choir's presence at the end made it legit listening. We particularly liked it because our hausfrau's rooster outside our window would be quiet until the dramatic pause near the end and would then crow at the climax; it had excellent timing and near perfect pitch.

And Beethoven gets a little over the top, but so what? It's still superb. Such critics remind me of a review written in a Vienna newspaper in the early 1800's concerning a concert that included premieres of Beethoven's 5th and 6th symphonies, along with a couple of piano concerti, performed and conducted by the composer. The review was quite brief, as I recall, and simply said "Very disappointing." Did Waters or SU have Viennese ancestors?

Yes, MTT at Davies. Should be great. That is a rooster I could put up with.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:00 AM   #10
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I have been told that some of the intelligentsia considered it trite and overused.
That's because the intelligentsia would like to maintain their distinction from the masses. The 9th is a classic, no question. I saw it in SLC a few years back and it was outstanding. Enjoy.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote