cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How do you view Bob?
He is not sinning and his interpretation of D&C 89:17 is fine 8 23.53%
He is not sinning, but he shouldn't drink beer socially 1 2.94%
He is sinning, but not a serious enough sin to keep him from holding a temple recommend 3 8.82%
He is sinning, but if he stops his TR status is okay without any confession to his bishop 13 38.24%
He is sinning, must confess to his bishop, but the bishop shouldn't pull his TR if he stops 9 26.47%
He is sinning, must confess to his bishop, and the bishop should pull his TR for some time 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2007, 02:46 AM   #11
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

just because 3000 people think its a sin doesnt mean it is. Are sins decided by a vote?

Its not a sin IMO
Old 12-13-2007, 03:23 AM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
just because 3000 people think its a sin doesnt mean it is. Are sins decided by a vote?

Its not a sin IMO
Nor is your avatar.

Post some more, you're becoming one of my favorite posters.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:07 AM   #13
shobeewan

shobeewan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I wish there was a place for, it is none of my business and between he and his Bishop. I am not saying that is the right answer, just the one I would give.
I agree with this, we had a fine member of our Elders quarum tell us that the Bishop had told him that a beer or two a year wouldn't keep him out of the temple. I suppose it wouldn't but at the time I pictured myself polishing off a cold one as my daughter comes into the house crying over some crisis in her life and asks me for a blessing. Now I know some of you aren't into the whole revelation thing, and that God doesn't really care to get involved in our personal lives, I happen to believe it would be very hard to give a blessing with the proper spirit at that time.

Of course I am also naieve enough to believe that God will help us in our personal lives as much as we are willing to let him. So I guess I am a Mullah??
shobeewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:02 AM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobeewan View Post
I agree with this, we had a fine member of our Elders quarum tell us that the Bishop had told him that a beer or two a year wouldn't keep him out of the temple. I suppose it wouldn't but at the time I pictured myself polishing off a cold one as my daughter comes into the house crying over some crisis in her life and asks me for a blessing. Now I know some of you aren't into the whole revelation thing, and that God doesn't really care to get involved in our personal lives, I happen to believe it would be very hard to give a blessing with the proper spirit at that time.

Of course I am also naieve enough to believe that God will help us in our personal lives as much as we are willing to let him. So I guess I am a Mullah??
A mullah? No just blissfully naive. He helps as much as we absolutely need it and probably not more.

I simply see him less interventionistic than you. That doesn't mean I view him as less loving, perhaps more loving as he wishes for us to make our own decisions.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:23 AM   #15
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
A mullah? No just blissfully naive. He helps as much as we absolutely need it and probably not more.

I simply see him less interventionistic than you. That doesn't mean I view him as less loving, perhaps more loving as he wishes for us to make our own decisions.
I agree with this. God gave us a brain for a reason.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:27 AM   #16
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Why do some people think he must confess to the Bishop? If he has already stopped drinking beers, and has repented, when he goes for his TR interview, then he can honestly answer that he "obeys the WofW." Unless you actually think drinking some beers at Christmas time is a past sin that must be confessed to a Priesthood leader. This line of thinking would be ludicrous in my opinion though.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:58 AM   #17
shobeewan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I agree he wants us to make our own decisions, but it doesn't hurt to run those decisions past him. I believe Father wants us to be happy and will help us. I am not one who asks whether I should put mustard or ketsup on a hot dog, but if there is a decision in my life that I am having trouble with, my experience has been that he will help us to know which choice is best. My personal experience has shown that you come out ahead if you follow his advice as opposed to ignoring it. I guess if that makes me naieve then I am, I don't think it would hurt for many on this board to have a little more faith in their lives, but I like this forum, it has some very enlightening views.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:01 AM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I agree he wants us to make our own decisions, but it doesn't hurt to run those decisions past him. I believe Father wants us to be happy and will help us. I am not one who asks whether I should put mustard or ketsup on a hot dog, but if there is a decision in my life that I am having trouble with, my experience has been that he will help us to know which choice is best. My personal experience has shown that you come out ahead if you follow his advice as opposed to ignoring it. I guess if that makes me naieve then I am, I don't think it would hurt for many on this board to have a little more faith in their lives, but I like this forum, it has some very enlightening views.
There is no need to ask about some things, such as, if you are over the age of 9, there is absolutely no reason to ever think about ketchup on a hot dog.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:36 AM   #19
shobeewan

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
There is no need to ask about some things, such as, if you are over the age of 9, there is absolutely no reason to ever think about ketchup on a hot dog.
BBQ sauce??
Old 12-16-2007, 07:54 AM   #20
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
BBQ sauce??
That would be better than ketchup.

I'm of the belief that only mustard - maybe a bit of relish - should go on a dog or sausage.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote