cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2008, 03:53 PM   #11
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
Translation: Balls cold winters. I'll be the first to admit. I'm a complete and total puss when it comes to winters. First winter back in Utah last year and I complained every day. If it is worse in Spokane, that may be a deal breaker.
I understand it's a bit chilly there come winter.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:00 PM   #12
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

They do sell Roman candles there. I remember being there for a 4th of July with cousins and all the neighborhood kids having a Roman candle war with trash can lid shields.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:27 PM   #13
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have a job offer that I'm debating. Never been there. Wondering what it is like. Church strong? Weather? Speed of life? Culture? How is the airport there? Job market? Any insight would be appreciated.

TIA
Lived in Spokane (well, Spokane Valley) from the age of 12 through leaving for college, plus the annual returns there for summer break.

I absolutely loved Spokane. The church is very strong.

You have a great combo of city life + "country" life, all within commuting distance.

Being a teenager while I was there, I couldn't say much about the culture. They have Riverfront Park, where a World Fair was held, and they have lots of activities there pretty much year-round. You won't find tons of huge museums & such, but there's a few interesting locales to spend some time.

Airport is smallish, but it's plenty easy to get to locations. Direct flights to SLC, Seattle, most of the East Coast hubs.

No clue on the current job market.

A few notes:
-There are 50 lakes within 100 miles of Spokane. If you enjoy outdoors life, you'll find all kinds - desert to the South, Mountains to the West & East, Forests everywhere. It's very green.

-Weather is nice. It gets pretty hot in August & pretty cold in January. I'd say the weather is similar to Utah, with more rain but probably less snow. The snow usually didn't stick on the ground more than a week after a decent storm, but we'd occasionally get a big snowstorm that'd stick for awhile.
It really doesn't stay all that cold most of the time (Note: this perspective is from someone who wears shorts & T-shirts until the highs drop below 35), but we DID once have a cold spell where it was like -20 for a few weeks straight. Something about a cold front that moved down from the arctic or something. That happened ONCE in my 8 years there.
It's VERY nice in Spring & Fall.

-Ceour d'Lane is a quick jaunt down the freeway. Depending on where you live - Spokane Valley is only about 12 miles (I used to bike there frequently), Spokane City is about 20 miles. They have a GREAT place for desserts - LOVED to take dates there & share the dessert (or occasionally eat the whole thing myself on a dare).

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:36 PM   #14
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have a job offer that I'm debating. Never been there. Wondering what it is like. Church strong? Weather? Speed of life? Culture? How is the airport there? Job market? Any insight would be appreciated.

TIA
I love Spokane. Never lived there but absolutely love it.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:30 PM   #15
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

TIA
Lovely place. Like Boise but more picturesque, and surrounded by real universities. You've got the wine/apple country and North Cascades to the west and the north, the Columbia gorge to the south, and maybe best of all, to the east northern Idaho and the lakes and western Montana with the Bitterroot area, Kalispel, Glacier Park, etc., etc. God's country. If you have a good job there maybe you should jump on it.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:10 PM   #16
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Lovely place. Like Boise but more picturesque, and surrounded by real universities. You've got the wine/apple country and North Cascades to the west and the north, the Columbia gorge to the south, and maybe best of all, to the east northern Idaho and the lakes and western Montana with the Bitterroot area, Kalispel, Glacier Park, etc., etc. God's country. If you have a good job there maybe you should jump on it.
The best thing about Spokane was that I had pretty much anything I wanted right there within a quick drive. They even have a ski resort at Mnt Spokane.

The only really lacking thing is professional sports. They had a rookie-league baseball team, the Spokane Indians. Not sure if that's changed at all. On the other hand, you can get to Seattle in a quick 50-minute plane trip or 5-hour car drive.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote