cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 07:30 PM   #21
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Has the prophet called for a sustaining vote on codifying this heretofore recommendation?
I don't know if you're implying that this happened with the Word of Wisdom, but it doesn't seem to have.

Quote:
"It can only be concluded from the available evidence that no General Conference of the Church has ever specifically voted to change the status of the Word of Wisdom from counsel to commandment. Indeed, for most of the nineteenth century, efforts to elevate the Word of Wisdom to a commandment were rejected by church leaders.”

(McCue, pp. 73-74)
Old 10-02-2007, 07:32 PM   #22
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
Il Padrino Ute’s recent question in the Religion forum about iced tea, coupled with my ongoing musings about presentist revisionism spawned this question I’ve been nursing for awhile. The Word of Wisdom, to me at least, pretty clearly allows for consumption of beer and other “mild drinks.” According to my understanding, the WoW prohibits wine and “strong drinks” (D&C 89.3, 5), but “mild drinks” made from grains (D&C 89.17) are okay.

After doing a little digging, and finding that the “commandmentization” of the WoW is debatable, it has come to my attention that, either due to ignorance of alcoholic beverages or an oversight spawned by the current policies, few people - whether scholars or religious figures - have made the distinction between strong and weak drinks in a WoW context.

So, the nit-picking about iced tea and caffeine aside, can LDS drink beer with a clean conscience? (BTW, the temple recommend question asks the member only, "Do you keep the Word of Wisdom?")

I think they can.

I invite you to peruse the fine articles written by Thomas G. Alexander and Robert J. McCue for the primary sources, background information, and some insightful commentary on how the Word of Wisdom “became” a commandment and how it fits into the broader context of American social movements.

Thomas G. Alexander, “The Word of Wisdom: From Principle to Requirement” in Dialogue, vol. 14.3 (Autumn 1981), pp. 78-88.

Robert J. McCue, “Did the Word of Wisdom Become a Commandment in 1851?” in Dialogue, vol. 14.3 (Autumn 1981), pp. 66-77.

You can read Dialogue vol. 14 at:
http://content.lib.utah.edu/cdm4/doc...&CISOSHOW=6510
In late antiquity and the Middle Ages in parts of Europe beer was a staple, like rice in the far east. It was more healthy than water for hydrating, and was caloric and tasty. And it didn't spoil.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:45 PM   #23
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
I don't know if you're implying that this happened with the Word of Wisdom, but it doesn't seem to have.
It surely did. What the author of that article is questioning is the scope of the vote, and how serious the commandment/counsel was meant to be taken (santos should have fun with that).

But he doesn't seem to question that a sustaining vote was held. I don't recall a vote being held in General Conference on the R-rated question that fits even the narrowest interpretation of Young's 1851 statement.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:49 PM   #24
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It surely did. What the author of that article is questioning is the scope of the vote, and how serious the commandment/counsel was meant to be taken (santos should have fun with that).

But he doesn't seem to question that a sustaining vote was held. I don't recall a vote being held in General Conference on the R-rated question that fits even the narrowest interpretation of Young's 1851 statement.
Why would the R rated thing come up in conference. It is counsel, not commandment.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:52 PM   #25
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Why would the R rated thing come up in conference. It is counsel, not commandment.
so was the word of wisdom "To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom, showing forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days"
Old 10-02-2007, 07:52 PM   #26
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Beer tastes like shit anyway.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:55 PM   #27
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
so was the word of wisdom "To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom, showing forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days"
I know, but it is now accepted as having moved beyond counsel to commandment.

I have a pretty simple test. If I can do it and go to the temple, it isn't commandment. That is my test for all those who tell me the white shirt, missionary service, coca cola, r-rated movies are commandments. They aren't to me, they are counsel.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:01 PM   #28
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I know, but it is now accepted as having moved beyond counsel to commandment.

I have a pretty simple test. If I can do it and go to the temple, it isn't commandment. That is my test for all those who tell me the white shirt, missionary service, coca cola, r-rated movies are commandments. They aren't to me, they are counsel.
ummm... that is the argument solon is making about the WOW that you can drink beer (mild drink) and still go to the temple
Old 10-02-2007, 08:02 PM   #29
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Unforunately, I think this is how most members approach a temple recommend.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:04 PM   #30
BYU71

Quote:
Unforunately, I think this is how most members approach a temple recommend.
Yea, it is so great most members have people like you to set us straight.

Do you ever read what you say and think, "my gosh does my shit really not stink".