cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder how the Church and its culture will change and evolve. I am thinking of Fowler's Phases, and how a lack of bright lines tends to diffuse the enthusiasm. In a world, where sophistication eliminates the acceptance of bright lines, how will the Church continue to attract new members? What sophisticated approach can one use for empirically minded individuals?
Old 06-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

A world-wide catastrophe would attract members.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #13
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
A world-wide catastrophe would attract members.
People grasping at straws in desperate moments?
Old 06-06-2013, 04:31 AM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Death seems to bring things in focus for many.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #15
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Death seems to bring things in focus for many.
For some, it ends focus. The dead.

For others, it changes focus.

Most of us have focus, but the potential imminent personal demise causes us to re-focus upon those things which have more long term meaning and value.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #16
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

I am beginning to feel that I just can't care about this any more. I give up. I am a primary worker in a large ward with a large primary. I just get the e-mail newsletter and couldn't help but notice that our roster has at least 10 adults assigned to cub scouts, or whatever it is called in primary. And 2 for the "equivalent" girls program.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #17
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
I am beginning to feel that I just can't care about this any more. I give up. I am a primary worker in a large ward with a large primary. I just get the e-mail newsletter and couldn't help but notice that our roster has at least 10 adults assigned to cub scouts, or whatever it is called in primary. And 2 for the "equivalent" girls program.
It is easy to fall off the map.

When you don't have children in the home, there are no things for men married to non-LDS women, the allure of Sunday attendance diminishes.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:35 AM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
there could be many reasons for this.

1. Cub scouts requires administrative type positions that aren't necessary or required for the girls' program.

2. Due to the risk of sexual abuse, scouts in general requires two-deep leadership, meaning that at times you would need twice the number of adults to run things.

Boy Scouts is from what I can tell much more resource intensive. In our ward, we have YM presidency (4 adults) + male assistant quorum advisors for each quorum (3 adults) + assistant scoutmaster (1) + scout committee chair (1 female in our case). That's 9 adults. And we have a total of 9 YM, with average Sunday attendance of less than that. Our YW program has something like only 3 or 4 YW total. Not sure how many adult leaders. Might only be the YW presidency (4). In scouts we have to do all kinds of training and meetings out the wazoo. Have close to monthly campouts. Scout camp. High adventure.

In our ward, we have quality YW leaders. One is married, childless, young, and working in a relatively high-powered job. Another is single and working. Another is married with kids, married to a professional. Do they need more adult leaders? Not sure. But if she felt she did, she ought to go to the Bishop and ask for it.

If I felt my daughter was languishing in a crap program, I would say something.

With my oldest son, the church's cub scout program can't accommodate our family's needs in terms of starting time and such, so we have him in a non-LDS pack. Doesn't mean I don't support the program or the church, just trying to make things work for my kid. things aren't perfect in the non-LDS pack, not by a longshot. If we can solve some things, will get him back in the LDS program.

Some people don't feel empowered to ask for what they want. That's kinda sad. i think in a lot of cases it's more the fault of the person who is unhappy than the leadership. Often the leadership is open to suggestions for improvements. In some cases they may not even know there is a problem. I would not be surprised at all if in many wards there is an underemphasis in the YW program, and that ought to be corrected. With the change in the mission program, it's become more clear that there is going to be equal yoking going forward in terms of how the mission program is going to work. And that will lead to a lot of profound changes down the line.