cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2006, 05:00 PM   #1
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does anyone know a good salsa recipe?

i have been looking for a good recipe for a long time
Old 10-14-2006, 05:53 PM   #2
fuegote

fuegote

Pico de Gallo

4-5 hand sized tomatoes
1 onion
1 bundle of cilantro
3-4 jalapeños
3-4 limes
salt

I usually get enough of everything so if I'm a little off on flavor I can always add what's lacking.

It's also going to be a little different every time. It takes practice, but I enjoy doing it because I get to keep tasting it until it's done, then I usually eat a lot of it before anyone else does.

Last night: (keep a bag of chips close so you can make sure your taste is where you want it to be).

1. I chopped up four tomatoes, it looked like enough, I kept one just in case.

2. I chopped up half the onion. It looked like too much but it didn't overwhelm, so I was okay.

3. I took the bundle of cilantro and chopped it up. I pretty much used every leaf in the bundle.

4. the Jalapeños…… this is where it gets a little tricky. I did two and I couldn't taste the snap I was looking for so I added on more. I usually add the 4th one but knew others would be eating this so I made it more mild on purpose. I usually make it too hot which is bad for those eating it but good for me because I get more. (Next time I make it for myself I'm going to add habeñero peppers).

5. Cut the three limes in half and squeeze the juice into the mix. Mix it all up and then salt to taste. Usually two quick flyover's of salt does it.

I had an added bonus…….leaving the salsa mixed together overnight really blends the tastes together in a way where I can't put it down (I'm having a hard time sharing this brew today because it's really good). It also tastes great right after making.

Enjoy.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:55 PM   #3
fuegote

fuegote

I made this two weeks ago and I ate it all week long. Be warned though, I think I ate it one day too long because I broke out with sores all inside my mouth that i'm just getting over.

I guess the tomatoes or jalapenos or something being exposed too long.

PS:the "too old" salsa was still delicious regardless of how my mouth felt the next day
Old 10-14-2006, 06:15 PM   #4
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote View Post
Pico de Gallo

4-5 hand sized tomatoes
1 onion
1 bundle of cilantro
3-4 jalapeños
3-4 limes
salt

I usually get enough of everything so if I'm a little off on flavor I can always add what's lacking.

It's also going to be a little different every time. It takes practice, but I enjoy doing it because I get to keep tasting it until it's done, then I usually eat a lot of it before anyone else does.

Last night: (keep a bag of chips close so you can make sure your taste is where you want it to be).

1. I chopped up four tomatoes, it looked like enough, I kept one just in case.

2. I chopped up half the onion. It looked like too much but it didn't overwhelm, so I was okay.

3. I took the bundle of cilantro and chopped it up. I pretty much used every leaf in the bundle.

4. the Jalapeños…… this is where it gets a little tricky. I did two and I couldn't taste the snap I was looking for so I added on more. I usually add the 4th one but knew others would be eating this so I made it more mild on purpose. I usually make it too hot which is bad for those eating it but good for me because I get more. (Next time I make it for myself I'm going to add habeñero peppers).

5. Cut the three limes in half and squeeze the juice into the mix. Mix it all up and then salt to taste. Usually two quick flyover's of salt does it.

I had an added bonus…….leaving the salsa mixed together overnight really blends the tastes together in a way where I can't put it down (I'm having a hard time sharing this brew today because it's really good). It also tastes great right after making.

Enjoy.
I agree with this basic recipe. Can't go wrong. For variation, if you're interested, play around with:

--what kind of onion you use (red, white)
--adding some freshly minced garlic
--what kind of heat you use: jalapeno, serrano, poblano (roasted), diced chipotles, habanero, etc
--throw in one to two ripe avocados, cut in moderate sized chunks. Mmmmmm.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:11 PM   #5
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBlue View Post
I agree with this basic recipe. Can't go wrong. For variation, if you're interested, play around with:

--what kind of onion you use (red, white)
--adding some freshly minced garlic
--what kind of heat you use: jalapeno, serrano, poblano (roasted), diced chipotles, habanero, etc
--throw in one to two ripe avocados, cut in moderate sized chunks. Mmmmmm.
I agree and have done all of those. yummy.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:13 PM   #6
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks i am making it as we speak, at least my wife is.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:53 PM   #7
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

If you make fresh salsa like this just remember that if you don't eat it all and store it to eat another day that it will get much hotter as the peppers really mix into the salsa. There is a tendency to add more peppers as you're making it because it isn't hot enough and then the next day it's like eating habaneros whole.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 03:02 AM   #8
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
If you make fresh salsa like this just remember that if you don't eat it all and store it to eat another day that it will get much hotter as the peppers really mix into the salsa. There is a tendency to add more peppers as you're making it because it isn't hot enough and then the next day it's like eating habaneros whole.
Is that why it burned holes in my mouth a week later?

It didn't taste bad (it was actually freaking delicious and hot as hell) but the next morning i had sores all over the inside of my mouth.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:02 AM   #9
fuegote

fuegote

and FWIW (to toot my own horn) this is my own recepie i picked up on in S.Texas during my mission.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:46 AM   #10
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote View Post
Is that why it burned holes in my mouth a week later?

It didn't taste bad (it was actually freaking delicious and hot as hell) but the next morning i had sores all over the inside of my mouth.
Perhaps. I was acting macho and bravo once on my mission and ate a habanero that was so hot that I drank more than a half gallon of milk to take away the burn, which in turn made me throw up so it burned again. A few hours later my anus was on fire too. It was the most intense burn I have ever experienced. My lips burned, my nose was runny, eyes watering everything. I can tolerate spicy foods and enjoy a good hot salsa but that was the last time I ate a habanero. I don't remember getting sores but I wouldn't doubt that it's possible.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote