cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2009, 06:10 AM   #1
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road
Default rebuking the brethren

so, I'm curious what you guys think. We're commanded over and over again in the NT to "rebuke" and "correct" the brethren. Do you think this is intended literally? And if it is, how is it supposed to work, and have you ever had to do it?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

I need some more context here.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
so, I'm curious what you guys think. We're commanded over and over again in the NT to "rebuke" and "correct" the brethren. Do you think this is intended literally? And if it is, how is it supposed to work, and have you ever had to do it?
You're asking the wrong people.

We are a people where the votes are more unanimous than Stalin-era USSR.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
I need some more context here.
I don't know. I intended it as more theoretical than "in this instance over here..." You can pick your context, I guess. There's not really much context in the NT. The exhortations are very general: rebuke one another with all authority. These sorts of things. There's a recurring idea that we're supposed to hold each other to standards of righteous living, that we have an obligation to speak up if someone is astray.

I have friends that believe this wholeheartedly, and "rebuke" to the point that it's little more than self-righteous meddling. So, I was wondering if y'all have feelings on the subject, and if you've ever taken a friend aside and said, "hey, I'm concerned that you're starting to X."
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:44 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish to research the context of the scripture, but my uninitiated sentiments seem to be more along the lines of correcting gently with kindness and loving more greatly thereafter. I also believe the context relates to stewardship. I don't have the right to correct a stranger whom I don't know and for whom I have no stewardship. Those are my instinctual answers.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #6
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

lol, I really did need some context. At first, I was thinking of the BRETHren, as in rebuking church leadership. I was thinking along the lines of Mike's favorite "suggestion box" line. I wasn't familiar with scriptures about that.

So if you're just talking about other people in general, then it's always tricky. We walk a fine line between judging and helping on that one. I usually opt for the mind-you-own-business approach, which may be the easiest. If I have a duty to rebuke, though. . . maybe I should start looking for some opportunities.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #7
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I wish to research the context of the scripture, but my uninitiated sentiments seem to be more along the lines of correcting gently with kindness and loving more greatly thereafter. I also believe the context relates to stewardship. I don't have the right to correct a stranger whom I don't know and for whom I have no stewardship. Those are my instinctual answers.
Your instincts seem based on the D&C. I'm not sure the NT is too clear about the appropriate way to correct each other.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:19 AM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

In the LDS church, we have been taught that even when the apostles are wrong, they are right.

That's about as far a position from correcting and rebuking as you can get.

The proper and accepted course in the LDS church, is to stuff it down, or to simply slink away and go inactive or apostasize.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:22 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

To which reference are you relying upon?

Quote:
Luke 17: 3If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him. 1 Tim. 5: 1Rebuke not an elder, but intreat him. 1 Tim. 5: 20Them that sin rebuke before all. 2 Tim. 4: 2rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering. Titus 1: 13rebuke them sharply. Titus 2: 15rebuke with all authority. Heb. 12: 5nor faint when thou art rebuked. Rev. 3: 19As many as I love, I rebuke. D&C 42: 91any one offend openly . . . shall be rebuked openly. D&C 42: 92any shall offend in secret . . . shall be rebuked in secret. D&C 93: 47must needs stand rebuked before the Lord. D&C 112: 9Thy voice shall be a rebuke unto the transgressor.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

In Friedman's book, he makes the point that there was a distinction between priests and prophets. Priests were part of a lineage and served a distinct role. Whereas prophets did not need to be a priest, they could emerge from any of the tribes, they could be anyone. Someone with "the gift."

We see this in the Book of Mormon in the personage of Samuel the Lamanite.

In the LDS church there is no recognition of such, the argument being, I suppose, that God is a god of "order." We are taught that it is not possible for our president (I.e. High priest) to lead us astray. So by definition, it seems, a rebuke directed towards him is a rebuke of God.

Samuel, climb down, we have no need for you. We are infallible in toto.