cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2007, 06:16 PM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default My thoughts on Romney's speech

First, I haven't seen it. I have only read the transcript. Seeing a speech and reading it can often give two very different impressions. That said:

The first fourth of his speech was disjointed and awkward from a stylistic perspective. He went from GWB to WWII to Greatest Generation to Romney's generation to religion overall to his religion. It was all over the place, and it sounded awkward.

He got much better after that, and made many excellent points.

He had a bit of a catch 22 going against him: he has to note that he believes in Jesus (to appease the crazies in the Republican party), but he has just given a speech about how he won't discuss details of his religious belief. He decided to note his belief in Christ, and that opens the door to wondering about other religious beliefs (which is what he was hoping to avoid).

He would have been better off noting that you don't need to believe in any religion to be an American, rather than saying that "freedom requires religion." Shouldn't the tolerance he is espousing reach all the way to those who don't believe in religion at all? I think once again he was reaching for a certain constituency and decided that element of the speech wouldn't get him anywhere with them.

Overall, I think it was a good speech. It wasn't the greatest of all time like CB would claim, but it was good for the constituency he was trying to reach.

If I were him, the goal of the speech would have been to make the media and voters focus on noting that attacks on Mormonism are bigotry. You can't be that blunt about it in the speech, but that is the subtle message you would want the media to pick up on (much like they have with Islaam). I think that is where he was leading the media with his comments on "tolerance."

It may have been effective in that sense. Here is a comment from Redstate.org that I actually agree with completely:

http://www.redstate.com/stories/elec..._romney_speech
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:20 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Would you mind letting us absorbe how the pundits tell us how he did before giving us your opinion?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:22 PM   #3
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Would you mind letting us absorbe how the pundits tell us how he did before giving us your opinion?
lol! I am trying to find the pundits comments in print. Anyone have good links to anything?

Another nice side-effect of the speech is that it makes people stop talking about the illegal immigration issue he had.

Last edited by Cali Coug; 12-06-2007 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I fail to understand why pundits would give a more accurate opinion. Just because pundits think they understand what politicians mean more than the average Joe doesn't mean they are correct.

Personally, I feel the best thing Romney could have said can be summed up in two sentences:

If elected, I will base decisions based on the guidelines as set forth by the Constitution of this country.

If anyone has a problem with my religious affiliation, it is his/her problem, not mine.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:00 PM   #5
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Another nice side-effect of the speech is that it makes people stop talking about the illegal immigration issue he had.
Re-phrase: "Another nice side-effect of the speech is that it makes me stop talking about the illegal immigration issue I had with him."

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:11 PM   #6
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Re-phrase: "Another nice side-effect of the speech is that it makes me stop talking about the illegal immigration issue I had with him."
Why don't you go ahead and go back and find that post where I said I had a personal problem with Romney having hired illegal immigrants. I will be waiting patiently.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:13 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I realize a lot of people care what politicians say, but I care what they do in office.

I got real bored with the speech and started skimming it midway through. Too long in my book, but I guess if you're getting free press coverage, we need to use it up.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:13 PM   #8
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Why don't you go ahead and go back and find that post where I said I had a personal problem with Romney having hired illegal immigrants. I will be waiting patiently.
Tex is busy trying to verify that Chris Matthews voted for W.

Wow, the same Chris Matthews that worked with Tip? That one?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:18 PM   #9
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Anybody think it's odd how Romney conflated "religious freedom" and religion? He seemed to use them interchangeably, as if religious freedom forces one to choose a religion. It didn't seem very coherent at the start because of that.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:20 PM   #10
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Anybody think it's odd how Romney conflated "religious freedom" and religion? He seemed to use them interchangeably, as if religious freedom forces one to choose a religion. It didn't seem very coherent at the start because of that.
That seemed a little divisive to say. But he's only excluding 10% or so of the nation, and even less that would vote for a Republican anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote