cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2008, 05:44 PM   #31
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Are you a sports fan? Do you actually listen to Bronco talk? It's pretty obvious to those that follow his public speaking: radio interviews, CC talks, fireside talks, etc. He's got a chip on his shoulder towards a large portion of the fan base.
Doesn't everyone have a chip on their shoulder towards BYU's fanbase. Even BYU fans do.

Last edited by Hot Lunch; 10-30-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:51 PM   #32
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
% of non-LDS players is down drastically.
Evidence that Bronco's recruiting approach is yielding lesser players than otherwise may have been committed this is most certainly not.

In fact, evidence supports the idea that A) LDS athletes as a whole are improving, and B) % of contributing non-LDS players who DO commit is (and always has been) extremely low.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"

Last edited by Spaz; 10-30-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:00 PM   #33
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Bronco's been awesome. My complaint in this thread is primarily his personality which is very fan-unfriendly. He knows what the fan wants to hear and he says the exact opposite almost to piss the fan off and teach him who's boss. Whatever, I guess I can deal.

Complaint #2 is that he actually believes what he's saying and isn't interested in recruiting better athletes. The evidence on that is unclear, so I won't hammer him on it.
I disagree. I love the way Bronco responds to questions & the way he frames his delivery. To me, he's very fan-friendly, from his approach to media access to his willingness to respond to fan questions in a thoughtful way. I also very much appreciate that he doesn't talk a bunch of shit (insert your favorite Whittingham-ism from his first three years here) just to make some fans happy. He's honest...almost to a fault.

I think the real issue here is that his approach and/or personality don't agree with you personally. That's fine, and feel free to voice your opinion as such. Just don't lump me & the hundreds of thousands of fans like me into your group of "fans he says the exact opposite almost to piss the fan off."

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:47 PM   #34
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Stupid Bronco. He thinks he's the head coach.
Bronco is the first counselor, right? God is the coach.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:28 PM   #35
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Santos has more chips and more shoulders than Bronco ever will.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:37 PM   #36
Hazzard

Hazzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Bronco is the first counselor, right? God is the coach.
That's funny.
Hazzard is offline   Reply With Quote