cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 08:34 PM   #41
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

First, I agree with those who say it is not a good idea to go to the student or her parents directly. Unless you score some sort of miracle it can not end well, the parents will be offended, the girl will be offended, and there is a good chance they'll start to tell people that the creepy seminary teacher is checking out their daughter.

Second, I think the idea about giving a lesson on the FSOY thing is a good idea. The only way to really teach somebody about a gospel principle like modesty and make it really stick is through the spirit.

If she's such a good student who participates all the time maybe she'll pay attention.

My friend (1st counselor in a singles ward) gave a Sunday school lesson on this. He made sure to point out that the reason for dressing modestly wasn't because there was something dirty about the human body, just that the minds of others aren't always clean and we shouldn't be providing the distraction. He "likened it unto" a guy giving away cookies on fast Sunday. There's nothing wrong with cookies, there's nothing wrong with giving away cookies, and there is nothing wrong with wanting a cookie. However, if you're out there just flaunting your cookies on fast Sunday you might be creating a distraction for someone else's spirituality.

Does this help...?

On a side note... My friend couldn't figure out why I thought it was so funny that he kept talking about "getting cookies." I would use brownies if it were me.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:50 PM   #42
Lost Student

Lost Student is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE View Post
First, I agree with those who say it is not a good idea to go to the student or her parents directly. Unless you score some sort of miracle it can not end well, the parents will be offended, the girl will be offended, and there is a good chance they'll start to tell people that the creepy seminary teacher is checking out their daughter.

Second, I think the idea about giving a lesson on the FSOY thing is a good idea. The only way to really teach somebody about a gospel principle like modesty and make it really stick is through the spirit.

If she's such a good student who participates all the time maybe she'll pay attention.

My friend (1st counselor in a singles ward) gave a Sunday school lesson on this. He made sure to point out that the reason for dressing modestly wasn't because there was something dirty about the human body, just that the minds of others aren't always clean and we shouldn't be providing the distraction. He "likened it unto" a guy giving away cookies on fast Sunday. There's nothing wrong with cookies, there's nothing wrong with giving away cookies, and there is nothing wrong with wanting a cookie. However, if you're out there just flaunting your cookies on fast Sunday you might be creating a distraction for someone else's spirituality.

Does this help...?

On a side note... My friend couldn't figure out why I thought it was so funny that he kept talking about "getting cookies." I would use brownies if it were me.
Lost Student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:58 PM   #43
Chapel-Hill-Coug

Chapel-Hill-Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
Nice, that had me rolling.

If there is one universal truth, it is: "I did it all for the cookie".
Chapel-Hill-Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:55 PM   #44
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

When I was student teaching I had a girl show up in class every day wearing pants that were so low-waisted that it was surreal, and a thong. (I eventually told her dad at parent teacher conferences that the next time it happened I was shipping her off to the principal's office, and that did seem to resolve the problem.) However, in the meantime I felt so bad for the kid I had sitting behind her. She would sit down and half her butt was hanging out of those jeans, right in the face of a very Peter Priesthood looking 16-17 year old boy. It was a quick fix though. I just switched seating assignments around until I had her at the back of the class surrounded by other girls. So, that's my advice. Don't say a word to her, her parents, leaders, etc... Being a man, too much risk of that going south. Just start doing seating assignments and place her somewhere that reduces her visibility to the rest of the class.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:08 PM   #45
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
When I was student teaching I had a girl show up in class every day wearing pants that were so low-waisted that it was surreal, and a thong. (I eventually told her dad at parent teacher conferences that the next time it happened I was shipping her off to the principal's office, and that did seem to resolve the problem.) However, in the meantime I felt so bad for the kid I had sitting behind her. She would sit down and half her butt was hanging out of those jeans, right in the face of a very Peter Priesthood looking 16-17 year old boy. It was a quick fix though. I just switched seating assignments around until I had her at the back of the class surrounded by other girls. So, that's my advice. Don't say a word to her, her parents, leaders, etc... Being a man, too much risk of that going south. Just start doing seating assignments and place her somewhere that reduces her visibility to the rest of the class.
BDB, you changed that poor lad's day from the best time of the day to the worst.

Thongs are considered a necessary accessory.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:10 PM   #46
Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
BDB, you changed that poor lad's day from the best time of the day to the worst.

Thongs are considered a necessary accessory.
I'm not at all sure about that. He looked scared.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:11 PM   #47
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Now this was two ton bertha, maybe so, but if this were, a Jenna in training then heck no.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:15 PM   #48
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
...so low-waisted that it was surreal, and a thong.
The two go hand in hand... Can you imagine the low rise with granny panties?
I wonder if all the girls wearing that know how it makes them look. Back in the day if I saw a low rise and a thong I pretty much knew I was getting some. It was almost as big a hint as the tramp stamp tat. It's like a little advertisement... "Here's a sneak peek at what's in my pants. Come inside and see the rest of the inventory."
Quote:
If she was hot he wasn't scared... At least of her... Just as long as you didn't call him up to the board or make him stand up to answer a question he was just fine.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:21 PM   #49
Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Now this was two ton bertha, maybe so, but if this were, a Jenna in training then heck no.
She wasn't two ton Bertha. She wasn't a small girl either. Probably closing in on 5'10" with a sort of athletic build. She had plenty of curve to her, but she also gave off a trailer park, trashy vibe. Every time she leaned over I'd see that kid get an embarrassed uncomfortable look on his face, and he'd start looking at the clock, staring down at his desk, turning around to see what the guy behind him was doing. I felt bad for him, there were guys sitting on either side of him with a similar view, who I'm certain weren't happy with the new seating arrangement.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:23 PM   #50
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE View Post
The two go hand in hand... Can you imagine the low rise with granny panties?
I wonder if all the girls wearing that know how it makes them look. Back in the day if I saw a low rise and a thong I pretty much knew I was getting some. It was almost as big a hint as the tramp stamp tat. It's like a little advertisement... "Here's a sneak peek at what's in my pants. Come inside and see the rest of the inventory."
I can't emprically prove it, but I guarantee that teenage girls--and maybe the younger 20's--who wear that kind of stuff have no concept of what goes through a boy's head when he sees it.

The older 20's and 30's crowd, on the other hand ...

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote