cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 12-21-2016, 03:03 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dastrup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYn_Jx93TtQ

If you look at this video, you'll see that Dastrup was wide-bodied in high school.

Now at BYU it looks like he not only got out of shape on his mission, but that he also ate his companion.

If you look at this video, the thing that stands out to me is that he didn't have foot speed. Everything is slow. He's not explosive. Never was, never will be.

His upside is his shooting, IQ, footwork, occupy space as a big body.

And he probably needs to lose 30-40 pounds.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 03:15 PM   #2
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

He's not a lost cause yet. Yes, he needs to finish getting back into playing shape. But look at his actual numbers:

32 minutes played this season with 18 points and 16 rebounds. He has some useful skills or he wouldn't have such good stats per minute.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:44 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Definitely not a lost cause. The big question is how much desire does he have to get better? Plenty of big guys have been effective at the college level despite lacking foot speed. Look at Gasol with Memphis in the NBA (although Gasol is much more athletic than Dastrup).

The question mark for me is why he was so highly regarded in the first place. Didn't he originally commit to Ohio State?
Old 12-30-2016, 07:07 PM   #4
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Definitely not a lost cause. The big question is how much desire does he have to get better? Plenty of big guys have been effective at the college level despite lacking foot speed. Look at Gasol with Memphis in the NBA (although Gasol is much more athletic than Dastrup).

The question mark for me is why he was so highly regarded in the first place. Didn't he originally commit to Ohio State?
Because he's big with some useful skills, so not bad to have on a team. He'd be better right now if he were straight out of HS. He did originally commit to Ohio State and also visited and had offers from Virginia and Florida. At one time he had an offer to Kansas as well but they pulled it when they believed him when he said he was going on a mission no matter what.

Also, when he announced at first that he was going to Ohio State, a lot of posters on CB said some of the things you just did about it not being that big of a deal because he didn't seem like an especially quick, run the floor type of big man like Mika.

Last edited by BlueK; 12-30-2016 at 07:16 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:50 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Because he's big with some useful skills, so not bad to have on a team. He'd be better right now if he were straight out of HS. He did originally commit to Ohio State and also visited and had offers from Virginia and Florida. At one time he had an offer to Kansas as well but they pulled it when they believed him when he said he was going on a mission no matter what.

Also, when he announced at first that he was going to Ohio State, a lot of posters on CB said some of the things you just did about it not being that big of a deal because he didn't seem like an especially quick, run the floor type of big man like Mika.
I believe he can be useful in a half court offense, but I am disappointed he hasn't worked harder to get back into proper conditioning. We should see his improvement from frosh to sophomore.

Kaufusi showed he won't be completely useless this year, and Aytes is serviceable right now. The loss of Davis hurts though.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:08 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

A kid with his kind of pedigree ought not be a garbage minutes player, mission or not, in his first year.

I think that's why everyone regards him as a disappointment.