cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football

Old 09-09-2016, 06:19 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 103.3 ESPN Dallas reported on the ISU student body

resolution. Where they advocated BYU be excluded from the Big 12 on the basis of discrimination against gays at BYU. The one host said he believes this issue will keep BYU out of all P5 conferences. Both of the hosts agreed that BYU will not change its honor code to get into the Big 12. They also reported on the ISU president's response to the student body resolution (we'll look at all the issues).

I posted this on CB, but it's status was changed from conference realignment to gays. Which is a category I am banned from viewing. Among another of other categories. I'll have to check, but I'm usually suspended when they change the category.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:32 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The one host said he believes this issue will keep BYU out of all P5 conferences.
I've been saying this for years, but presently this issue is just a microcosm or emblem of the broader problem that will keep them out.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:49 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I'm already on record saying that BYU will not be asked to join.

That was clear to me when they chose WVU and TCU over BYU before.

"Baggage." "Difficult."

Mormons will cry out "bigotry"! Which of course is very ironic. Yes, Mormons have the right to exclude gays. But the Big 12 also has the right to exclude BYU.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:14 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

When BYU is passed on for the Big 12, it's going to be a bitter disappointment, because that means the end of any pretense of BYU being involved in big-time sports. The gap will grow and grow and grow, and I wouldn't be surprised if sports at BYU ends (along with many other universities).

There are many on CB that will take great satisfaction for having been passed on due to the gay rights and rape issues, because that means the world has rejected what is just and right and true. The joy of the martyr.

I won't take any joy in it. I'm willing to fall on my sword. But ask me to fall on my sword so that we can exclude blacks? Come on man! Give me a better issue to die over. We have a lot of causes to fight for in this world, and you're asking me to fight for discrimination against gays? I've already lived that. I have a gay brother who is ostracized from the church. It's not "theory" for me.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:36 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I also chuckle when guys on CB say that BYU's position is a mainstream position, especially for Big 12 country, and that average ordinary Americans in middle America will be outraged if BYU is passed over for reasons of bias/discrimination.

They absolutely don't get it. There will be zero outrage. Middle America has moved on and is done debating whether gays can kiss, have sex, or get married. Or wear earrings.

I get that Mormonism doesn't easily change, especially when long-standing doctrines are in play. What disappoints me is where the church seems to violate its own doctrines and principles in doing things like excluding children of gays from being baptized. "Let the children come unto me. But not the ones with gay parents." And no I don't buy that this is all about loving gay Mormon families or gays or gay Mormons. There is no evidence for that. It's about excluding. And keeping the "problem" of gay married couples out of the church.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:39 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

"But Mike, God will work it out in the end. Any child prevented from being baptized, that dies, will have that chance in the next life."

Ok, if it all works out in the end, I feel like I don't have a lot of motivation to do the hard work on the front end. I don't feel much motivation anymore to try and convince estranged gay Mormons to return to the faith and church attendance.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:53 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
"But Mike, God will work it out in the end. Any child prevented from being baptized, that dies, will have that chance in the next life."

Ok, if it all works out in the end, I feel like I don't have a lot of motivation to do the hard work on the front end. I don't feel much motivation anymore to try and convince estranged gay Mormons to return to the faith and church attendance.
It confirms one's doubt in the existence of inspiration. I love the history I had of watching BYU sports, but am disappointed the culture changes so slowly that dinosaurs will walk the earth again before the bureaucratic leadership makes meaningful reforms.

Prop 8 killed the Mormon Moment. It won't return because there is no living inspiration any longer.

I can't make a prediction because I lack too much data. Will I be surprised if BYU is not invited? Not at all.

Will I be surprised if BYU is invited? No, because athletically, the school makes sense.

I am doubtful is a done deal either way.

Yet leadership is tone deaf to societal changes on gay issues and Sunday play. There is a ton of hypocrisy on the latter.

Historically, Christianity did not observe the Sabbath until sometime in the Medieval Ages.

Now, LDS celebrities who work on Sundays are celebrated, but BYU can't compete in championships? Get real. Society is a 24/7 and BYU needs to move into the 21st century, not hearken back to the 14th Century French era.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:10 AM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Don't forget the BYU professor who competed in the Olympic marathon on a Sunday.

Historically mormonism has changed in order to survive. Or perhaps more generously, the human leaders of the church have faced the hardest questions when facing existential questions about the church's survival.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:47 AM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

it's one thing to be harmless weirdos.

But people start to get really turned off when you are harmful weirdos.

And part of getting weird is not having any college sports.

Jehovah's Witness--where is their team? SDAs, how about theirs?
Old 09-10-2016, 01:21 AM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Now UT following suit.

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/2016...-lgbt-policies