cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Finances

Old 11-13-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Home Owners Insurance - evil dogs

I own a German Shepherd. She's old and tired and deaf. She sleeps a lot.

Anyway, I take it most people would advise me to get home owners insurance that does not exclude any damage she might inflict on someone. Correct?

Plus then I can get another German Shepherd. It just happens that evil dogs are the kind of dogs I like. Kinda like evil guns.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:36 AM   #2
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Do you keep yours inside or outside? German Shepherds are not the most sanitary dogs; they smell and shed, a lot. Does it bother you?

I'm being serious here b/c we're in the market for a dog, and I'm trying to decide which breed to get.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Do you keep yours inside or outside? German Shepherds are not the most sanitary dogs; they smell and shed, a lot. Does it bother you?

I'm being serious here b/c we're in the market for a dog, and I'm trying to decide which breed to get.
Indoors. I don't believe in keeping dogs outdoors all the time. They are social animals and need to be with the pack to be properly emotionally adjusted.

German Shepherds DO shed a lot. Our German Shepherd has more black fur than most. And until she died about a year ago, we had a yellow lab. We had black and yellow fur that get all over everything. The German Shepherd sheds in huge chunks twice a year, with a low-level of shedding ongoing. The lab shed her short fur at a constant rate all the time.

If you get any dog that sheds, you will need to invest in a good vacuum. Wood floors are a plus for cleaning. There are of course dogs that do not shed, but those require regular grooming/hair-cutting.

I don't think a GSD smells anymore or less than any other dog.

On what kind of dog to get: many factors. The purpose will guide you. Me, I want a child-friendly dog that can also act as a watch dog. In general, some of the larger breeds are thought to do better with young children (because they are not scared of the children--an intimidated dog is one that will bite). Plus I just like the bigger dogs better. However, bigger dogs are more expensive to feed, take care of, board. But I don't think that would be a problem for you.

Also there is the temperament issue. My lab was very friendly, but also very needy. The German Shepherd is much more quiet and aloof. Very calm. Low-maintenance. Very different.

Other breeds I have been thinking about:
1) Giant Schnauzer - friend has them. Very high on them. Don't shed a lot.
2) Standard poodle (the big one) - very intelligent, don't shed, kinda freaky looking in a good way, sporting instincts
3) Doberman Pinscher - a quality doberman is a magnificent looking animal. And then I get to live my Higgins/Magnum fantasy. Smart dogs as well.

Of course, labs are just incredible family dogs. But they can be very high-energy, and need a lot of attention. A GSD is among the smartest dogs, loyal, calm--the closest you can get to a dog that looks like a wolf, so that might appeal to you.

There are of course many other fine choices (and some terrible ones as well). Buy from a reputable breeder (not a puppy mill or backyard breeder). Consider buying/adopting a well-bred well-adjusted/trained adult as well--save you a ton of aggravation.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the feedback.

My in-laws have a miniature doberman. Yesterday she had a pretty awful seizure, and the vet said her heart has a leak. My MIL, who has proclaimed that dog the bane of her existence, has been inconsolable and has lain next to Sadie (the dog) for the past 24 hours. My wife has shed a tear too. They may have to put her down, but we want to say goodbye to her through Skype before they do. She was one of the kids' favorite things about visiting grandma and grandpa.

I think we may get a miniature doberman too.

But we also need a cat to keep the mice away from our 70-year old home. Haven't heard or spotted any this fall yet, but when the weather gets cold they have tried to move in.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Minature pinscher and a cat? Yuck.

Not a fan of the yippee dogs. But little dogs can be a lot easier to take care of.