cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival

Old 11-17-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fighting the anti-gun lobby with words (AR-15="Modern Sporting Rifle")

Saw this in an email:

Quote:
Updating AR-15's Image

The National Shooting Sports Foundation is trying to rebuild the image of the AR-15 rifle and you can help. The NSSF has coined the term Modern Sporting Rifle to more accurately describe the AR-15 platform and is asking that shooters do the same. The NSSF asks you to be an informed gun owner and to use the following facts to correct misconceptions about these rifles.

If AR-15-style modern sporting rifles are banned, your favorite traditional-looking hunting or target shooting semi-automatic firearm could be banned, too.

´ AR-15-platform rifles are among the most popular firearms being sold. They are today's modern sporting rifle.

´ The AR in "AR-15" rifle stands for Armalite rifle, after the company that developed it in the 1950s. "AR" does NOT stand for "assault rifle" or "automatic rifle."

´ AR-15-style rifles are NOT "assault weapons" or "assault rifles." An assault rifle is fully automatic -- a machine gun. Automatic firearms have been severely restricted from civilian ownership since 1934.

´ AR-15-style rifles look like military rifles, such as the M-16, but function like other semi-automatic civilian sporting firearms, firing only one round with each pull of the trigger.

´ Versions of modern sporting rifles are legal to own in all 50 states, provided the purchaser passes the mandatory FBI background check required for all retail firearm purchasers.

´ Since the 19th century, civilian sporting rifles have evolved from their military predecessors. The modern sporting rifle simply follows that tradition.

´ AR-15-style rifles are no more powerful than other hunting rifles of the same caliber and in most cases are chambered in calibers less powerful than common big-game hunting cartridges like the 30-06 Springfield and .300 Win. Mag.

´ And, they are a lot of fun to shoot!
No man should be without one!

One of the exciting developments with the AR-15 is the new calibers that can be used for hunting deer and pigs.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:22 AM   #2
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Saw this in an email:

No man should be without one!

One of the exciting developments with the AR-15 is the new calibers that can be used for hunting deer and pigs.
I agree, I love my AR-15. What's in store for 2010? An AR-10!
Old 11-23-2009, 04:05 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
I agree, I love my AR-15. What's in store for 2010? An AR-10!
A friend of mine has a DPMS Panther bull barrel AR-10. The thing is a tank. Very heavy. A reminder that the AR-15 was designed to be a light rifle....

Perhaps Venkman, you should look into the 6.8. After all, if you were going to be as minimalist as possible, you would just need the upper and some mags (uses same lower, unlike the AR-10).
Old 11-23-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
A friend of mine has a DPMS Panther bull barrel AR-10. The thing is a tank. Very heavy. A reminder that the AR-15 was designed to be a light rifle....

Perhaps Venkman, you should look into the 6.8. After all, if you were going to be as minimalist as possible, you would just need the upper and some mags (uses same lower, unlike the AR-10).
Hmmm, I didn't know you could do that. Not a bad idea.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
Hmmm, I didn't know you could do that. Not a bad idea.
The 6.8 can take deer and hogs too.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
Real.Men.Wear.Blue

Real.Men.Wear.Blue is on a distinguished road

What do AR-15's typically cost, based on common calibers? And where is the best place to look to buy?
Real.Men.Wear.Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:02 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real.Men.Wear.Blue View Post
What do AR-15's typically cost, based on common calibers? And where is the best place to look to buy?
The "normal" or original AR-15 comes in .223/5.56mm. Prices have been highly variable--they rocketed up after BHO was elected, and supply was very tight. You might have to wait 6 months to receive your gun after ordering.

Luckily, the supply has loosened up considerably, and prices have started falling. The cheapest you can likely get an AR-15 is here:

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/...shop=1&cat=161

People have said that these have been good rifles. From the pic looks lilke you would need to buy a rear iron site. And scope mount if you want a scope.

The cool thing about the AR-15 is that it is highly customizable, and part are interchangeable. They come in two halfs (upper and lower), and you can buy them separately. Building a lower half from parts is not too difficult.

To buy a gun over the internet, you need to locate a FFL close to you who will charge a fee for transfer (usually $15-$30 or so).

If you have the resources, I personally would not delay buying one, because there is always the risk that the democrats will try to ban purchase, or otherwise restrict them. The democrats previously passed an "Assault Weapons Ban", but that sunsetted under GWB. The current AG Holder is on record as wanting to bring back the AWB, as is BHO. To them, these guns are the tools of evil criminals, not upstanding citizens.

They would have us only able to own bolt-action single-shot rifles, that can't be stored in our own homes.