cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2008, 05:56 PM   #11
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
The masses are asses. This has been brought up plenty of times, but just winning + not violating NCAA rules isn't enough here; hopefully that doesn't push him over the edge when the big-time money offers come around.
You kidding me, there is widespread angst throughout college football about his methods. Folks are aware of his super secret pinky handshakes with mission presidents and referring to his team as a "Band of Brothers."

Mendenhall doesn't have what it takes to be successful outside of the bubble that is BYU. He believes that righteousness is the root of his success and has been teaching this to his players, read their comments.

As far as Mendenhall's future, out there today is a 20 year old inactive mormon boy downing brewskies at some JC and contemplating a failed marriage. He too will see the light and become a zealot in the cause of BYU football- and some periphery religious issues that gives the HC the freedom to maneuver. Perhaps Bronco bolts for big money, perhaps he retires early. I say don't worry be happy and enjoy the present and realize that Mendenhall is one complex weird dude and trying to predict what he will do is probably not as easy as we think.

Well, he will make Utenation pull string like no other. That is probably a safe prediction.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:02 PM   #12
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
LA Ute is much smarter than both you and I. He used clips from "Hoosiers" at his own team building exercises for his firm. My guess is he understands much of Bronco's success better than you or I. That is why it makes me chuckle. I love it when folks get so principle centered. Mendenhall does to Utenation what Majerus did to Cougarfans. I think Majerus also had a reputation for waffling comments that were frequently as incoherint as Mendenhall's babbling. It is a good day to be a Cougar fan with a good memory!
I always thought LAU was somehow immune to all of this. But I do recall him taking exception to a Cougar thrashing of Air Force during the Iraq war. He said it was evidence of BYU's lack of patriotism.

But I suppose he gets a pass. He cut his teeth on the rivalry during the late 70s and early 80s. No loud noises please.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:32 PM   #13
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I always thought LAU was somehow immune to all of this. But I do recall him taking exception to a Cougar thrashing of Air Force during the Iraq war. He said it was evidence of BYU's lack of patriotism.

But I suppose he gets a pass. He cut his teeth on the rivalry during the late 70s and early 80s. No loud noises please.
I never knew he was the Utah Student Body President until I read his bio today. I am sure that fundamentally he just loves Utah dearly. Far more than I love BYU or even West Point. When you put that much of yourself into something, it becomes larger than life to you. Given the nature of the rivalry then he probably developed deep bitterness towards BYU. Being active LDS living in SoCal probably exposes him to too many BYUheads for his preference. It must be difficult to love the University of Utah as much as a former Student Body President does and have to hear the Deacons Quorum advisor talking about showing the deacons some Bronco Mendenhall dvd. I am sure the Deacon's Quorum advisor means well and LA knows that but there is only so much putting on a pedestal of your love's rival coach a human can endure before starting to develop a bit of antipathy for the man. Given the zero sum nature of this rivalry what other method could one utilize to effectively deal with it?

So I can understand, it just makes me chuckle.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:13 PM   #14
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I never knew he was the Utah Student Body President until I read his bio today. I am sure that fundamentally he just loves Utah dearly. Far more than I love BYU or even West Point. When you put that much of yourself into something, it becomes larger than life to you. Given the nature of the rivalry then he probably developed deep bitterness towards BYU. Being active LDS living in SoCal probably exposes him to too many BYUheads for his preference. It must be difficult to love the University of Utah as much as a former Student Body President does and have to hear the Deacons Quorum advisor talking about showing the deacons some Bronco Mendenhall dvd. I am sure the Deacon's Quorum advisor means well and LA knows that but there is only so much putting on a pedestal of your love's rival coach a human can endure before starting to develop a bit of antipathy for the man. Given the zero sum nature of this rivalry what other method could one utilize to effectively deal with it?

So I can understand, it just makes me chuckle.
Chuckle? Chuckle?

Hell when I went over to utefest.net I thought somehow I had mistakenly ended up at Cougarboard instead.

I swear at least 90 percent of their content is based upon Bronco, or BYU being the latest BcS ball buster, or BYU being ranked unjustly.

Talk about little brother syndrome, wow, those people take the cake.

I always knew they had some serious insecure feelings about being BYU's beotch, I just never realized how bad they've got it until now.

Is it like this all the time over there?
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:29 PM   #15
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Blue View Post
Chuckle? Chuckle?

Hell when I went over to utefest.net I thought somehow I had mistakenly ended up at Cougarboard instead.

I swear at least 90 percent of their content is based upon Bronco, or BYU being the latest BcS ball buster, or BYU being ranked unjustly.

Talk about little brother syndrome, wow, those people take the cake.

I always knew they had some serious insecure feelings about being BYU's beotch, I just never realized how bad they've got it until now.

Is it like this all the time over there?
2007 was not a good year for them, with respect to Bronco. They endured 2006 relatively well as 2007 would expose Mendenhall for the fraud he was. BYU going 11-2 and undefeated in MWC play after losing all those skill players tended to emasculate many on that venue and Mendenhall's methods really picks at some of their "cultural" scabs. In my opinion they are quite a bit more testie and bitter towards BYU than they have ever been since I started there which was in 2000 sometime.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:32 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

if LAUte is that much of a diehard Ute fan, he's probably not going to like the new password I assigned to him...
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote