cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 04:26 PM   #1
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BYU is not the kind of team

BCS squads want to play. Just looking over some basic stats for last year, the Cougars:

Scored 36.8 ppg and gave up 14.7.

Averaged 6.8 yards per play and allowed 4.9.

Averaged 4.2 yards per rush while giving up 3.6.

Averaged 13.5 per catch while opponents had only 10.9.

Averaged 465.5 yards of total offense and gave up 319.2.

Converted 56% of 3rd-downs while opponents only converted 33%.

Scored 63 TDs and allowed only 23.

Scored 85% of the time in the Blue Zone, while opponents only scored 69% of the time.

Sacked opponents 24 times, intercepted 18 passes, and failed to recover only 4 fumbles while getting 9 from opponents.

Even considering the Cougars' "weak" MWC competition, if they keep putting up these kinds of numbers they will be the pariahs of Division 1 football (maybe they already are). BCS teams would love to have the tough mid majors get ground into mediocrity without TV coverage and great games on their schedules. They'd rather not let us at their recruits. They're happy to call up Buffalo and Akron for cupcake games and talk about how tough their conference games are.

With the BCS, solid Mid Majors get punished. We're a lose-lose for BCS teams in many ways.

Please forgive my dwelling on the obvious, I just received an e-mail from a Michigan fan (my brother) gloating about the sure wins against Appalachian State and Eastern Michigan. Sure, UM has ND on the schedule and I respect that, and my team is playing Eastern Washington (but also AZ and UCLA!), but I've had enough of the 2-1 deals that even the BCS teams who will take a chance on us want (and can often get).

How can this situation improve?
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:27 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

BYU was 1-2 vs BCS teams last year.

We have UCLA, Washington, Arizona State and Florida State on future schedules, jus for starters.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:32 PM   #3
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
BYU was 1-2 vs BCS teams last year.

We have UCLA, Washington, Arizona State and Florida State on future schedules, jus for starters.
True, and I'm glad we're playing those teams, but are those games 2 away and 1 at home? Is our lack of a TV deal hurting us (or will it)? We need to play them more than they need to play us and they know it. It feels like we're over a barrell.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

Old 08-10-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
True, and I'm glad we're playing those teams, but are those games 2 away and 1 at home? Is our lack of a TV deal hurting us (or will it)? We need to play them more than they need to play us and they know it. It feels like we're over a barrell.
As far as I'm aware these are 1 for 1s. Notre Dame is the only 2 for 1 I can recall us getting into. We've done a couple of one and dones away (Alabama [they stiffed us on our home game], Georgia, Wisconsin).
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:38 PM   #5
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
None of those series against BCS teams are 2 for 1.

They're all 1 for 1 and the Washington series is 4 games. 2 for 2.

The only BCS team I can remember us having a 2 for 1 with is Notre Dame.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:39 PM   #6
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
As far as I'm aware these are 1 for 1s.
That's good.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:42 PM   #7
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
the only nice thing about the tv deal is that national coverage is still possible with cstv and versus. i don't know of any MWC games against bcs teams that are going to be on the mtn this year. Utah/UCLA is on Versus, and BYU v. Arizona and also that UCLA game are also on Versus.

the major drawback to the mtn network is that so many conference games are on it. cstv and versus are also not the same quality as espn, but their coverage of games is as good as that on the fox sports network.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:36 PM   #8
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
the only nice thing about the tv deal is that national coverage is still possible with cstv and versus. i don't know of any MWC games against bcs teams that are going to be on the mtn this year. Utah/UCLA is on Versus, and BYU v. Arizona and also that UCLA game are also on Versus.

the major drawback to the mtn network is that so many conference games are on it. cstv and versus are also not the same quality as espn, but their coverage of games is as good as that on the fox sports network.
I haven't seen a game on CSTV since I think it was the very first one against Stanford. Unless they have improved significantly there is no way they're as good as Fox.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote