cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 02:42 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Cougar Football--let's talk personnel

Time to get down to business.

Vakapuna--is he healthy? I undestand he's a little overweight? Is he ready to go 100% starting first day of camp or is he still rehabbing?

RB--I was worried all offseason about this position hoping for a JC guy and I'm still worried. We've got three guys that all run the same 4.6/4.7 big bruisers. I wouldn't mind a guy more cut in the mold of a typical D1 RB 5'11" 210 4.5 40 and quick. Hudson? ~eeh.

Hall--why no skeleton drill reports? How's he looking?

OL status--who's not healthy? we've got 7 potential solid starters so I'm not too worried.

TE--Pitta sounds like the suprise of the spring/summer. Should be reloading at this position.

Kessman--maybe Ruby Soho has an agenda maybe not. But I thought guys jumped on him too hard. I said Kessman's video was unimpressive a year ago. He looks pudgy and slow (compared to D1 WR's not compared to me) and the competition looked like Team Matador.

Bradley injury status?

G's in town. Any first impressions from skellys on him? Probably wouldn't matter. I remember Howell impressing in skelly drills and never making it on the field for four years.

Gabriel. So he's still on the team or not?

Nixon status?

Any other injuries?

Any other guys that might be a surprise?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post

Vakapuna--is he healthy? I undestand he's a little overweight? Is he ready to go 100% starting first day of camp or is he still rehabbing?

RB--I was worried all offseason about this position hoping for a JC guy and I'm still worried. We've got three guys that all run the same 4.6/4.7 big bruisers. I wouldn't mind a guy more cut in the mold of a typical D1 RB 5'11" 210 4.5 40 and quick. Hudson? ~eeh.

OL status--who's not healthy? we've got 7 potential solid starters so I'm not too worried.

TE--Pitta sounds like the suprise of the spring/summer. Should be reloading at this position.

Kessman--maybe Ruby Soho has an agenda maybe not. But I thought guys jumped on him too hard. I said Kessman's video was unimpressive a year ago. He looks pudgy and slow (compared to D1 WR's not compared to me) and the competition looked like Team Matador.

Bradley injury status?

G's in town. Any first impressions from skellys on him? Probably wouldn't matter. I remember Howell impressing in skelly drills and never making it on the field for four years.

Nixon status?

Any other injuries?

The only question I can answer is that as of now, Nixon is good to go. On the injury front the player we may see limited action from is Staferri.

I too am curious about no skeleton drill reports. Indy says it is because Bronco cracked down on info. What are skeleton drills going to tell an opponent??
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:49 PM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I'm also worried about the RB, especially for the Arizona game. If Fui can get and stay healthy, we should be fine with Tonga back. Hudson transferred to Sam Houston State.

Yesterday somebody on Cougarboard said the security for skeleton drills was much tighter, resulting in no reports.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:38 PM   #4
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:

Bradley injury status?

Nixon status?

Any other injuries?

I've heard Vakapuna is cleared to run, but still isn't cleared to cut yet, but is stronger than ever.

The RB position will be an interesting one to watch. Word is that of the 3 top guys in Vakapuna, Tonga and Unga...that Unga by far has the most upside and all around talent of them all. Unga is also 100% healthy and ready to roll. J.J. DiLuigi will get a chance to get some reps as well. Hudson was never a D-I back and would've been another bench warmer this year, even in light of the injuries.

The reason why no skeleton reports is they've started kicking people out who come to watch the 7 on 7's.

OL Status is the best it's been at BYU in many years. There's very good talent and depth at every position across the line. This is the last position on the team I'm worried about.

Tight end will be fine. Pitta, So'oto and George will step right in and pick up where Harline and Coats left off. No drop off in talent there.

Ryan Kessman, I disagree with your assessment of him being slow. I know the poster Ruby Soho very well. He used to sit at some of the games with me, and though I respect his opinions and knowledge on players and the game itself, this is one instance where I disagree with his proclamation that Kessman will be a bust. Maybe he will be, but let's let the kid have a couple years under his belt before we label him that. In fact watching the video I think his elusiveness and speed is underated. Not to say he's a burner, but time will tell if he can be a contributor. I think he'll have a slight impact this year. Certainly not in the Collie mold, but possibly in the McKay Jacobsen mold.

Brandon Bradley is 100% healthy and ready to go. However, don't be surprised if coaches take it a bit easy with the likes of Bradley, Vakapuna, Unga and a few others who've got some injury history.

Dustin Gabriel is still on the team and for now is #1 on the depth chart along with Quinn Gooch at the Safety positions. However, I wish the kid would hang it up. Concussions and a bad head are nothing to mess around with.

Nixon's status is a bit of a mystery. Last I heard he was around 60-70% and there's even talk of him possibly redshirting this season. I believe his intention is to give it a go, but I'm sure Fall Practice will bear that out either way.

Other guys that might be a surprise. Yes....Harvey Unga, Harvey Unga and Harvey Unga. Also,,,,Jordan Pendleton....I won't be surprised to see him getting quite a bit of PT before the year is over. He's been working out with the team all Summer and has looked very good. WR Ryan Neeley might surprise a bit, as well as True Freshman WR Jordan Smith. There needs to be a Backup Defensive Tackle established in camp behind Russell Tialavea....if he goes down then we're screwed...in this sense I think newcomer Freshman Eathyn Manumaleuna will have a chance to get those reps. This also might be the year where Sophomore Brett Denney has his break out year. Ian Dulan plans on going on a mission after his Sophomore year so Denney will get plenty of PT this year.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 08-02-2007 at 07:43 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:45 PM   #5
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Fui is not out of shape, he couldnt run with his injury but he continued to workout and put in the same amount of time he would have had he been healthy, well since he couldnt run it was all upper body and he has become almost to big.

I am with Rocky i like harvey unga i watched him a lot at Timpview and he is the real deal. I wouldnt be surprised to see Fui play a little fullback with Unga at the tailback this year.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:52 PM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Fui is not out of shape, he couldnt run with his injury but he continued to workout and put in the same amount of time he would have had he been healthy, well since he couldnt run it was all upper body and he has become almost to big.

I am with Rocky i like harvey unga i watched him a lot at Timpview and he is the real deal. I wouldnt be surprised to see Fui play a little fullback with Unga at the tailback this year.
Harvey seemed like a man among boys in HS. But then again, he had a fabulous O-line to work with.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:25 PM   #7
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Harvey seemed like a man among boys in HS. But then again, he had a fabulous O-line to work with.
And that's the beauty of it...he still will.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:28 PM   #8
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I've heard Vakapuna is cleared to run, but still isn't cleared to cut yet, but is stronger than ever.

The RB position will be an interesting one to watch. Word is that of the 3 top guys in Vakapuna, Tonga and Unga...that Unga by far has the most upside and all around talent of them all. Unga is also 100% healthy and ready to roll. J.J. DiLuigi will get a chance to get some reps as well. Hudson was never a D-I back and would've been another bench warmer this year, even in light of the injuries.

The reason why no skeleton reports is they've started kicking people out who come to watch the 7 on 7's.

OL Status is the best it's been at BYU in many years. There's very good talent and depth at every position across the line. This is the last position on the team I'm worried about.

Tight end will be fine. Pitta, So'oto and George will step right in and pick up where Harline and Coats left off. No drop off in talent there.

Ryan Kessman, I disagree with your assessment of him being slow. I know the poster Ruby Soho very well. He used to sit at some of the games with me, and though I respect his opinions and knowledge on players and the game itself, this is one instance where I disagree with his proclamation that Kessman will be a bust. Maybe he will be, but let's let the kid have a couple years under his belt before we label him that. In fact watching the video I think his elusiveness and speed is underated. Not to say he's a burner, but time will tell if he can be a contributor. I think he'll have a slight impact this year. Certainly not in the Collie mold, but possibly in the McKay Jacobsen mold.

Brandon Bradley is 100% healthy and ready to go. However, don't be surprised if coaches take it a bit easy with the likes of Bradley, Vakapuna, Unga and a few others who've got some injury history.

Dustin Gabriel is still on the team and for now is #1 on the depth chart along with Quinn Gooch at the Safety positions. However, I wish the kid would hang it up. Concussions and a bad head are nothing to mess around with.

Nixon's status is a bit of a mystery. Last I heard he was around 60-70% and there's even talk of him possibly redshirting this season. I believe his intention is to give it a go, but I'm sure Fall Practice will bear that out either way.

Other guys that might be a surprise. Yes....Harvey Unga, Harvey Unga and Harvey Unga. Also,,,,Jordan Pendleton....I won't be surprised to see him getting quite a bit of PT before the year is over. He's been working out with the team all Summer and has looked very good. WR Ryan Neeley might surprise a bit, as well as True Freshman WR Jordan Smith. There needs to be a Backup Defensive Tackle established in camp behind Russell Tialavea....if he goes down then we're screwed...in this sense I think newcomer Freshman Eathyn Manumaleuna will have a chance to get those reps. This also might be the year where Sophomore Brett Denney has his break out year. Ian Dulan plans on going on a mission after his Sophomore year so Denney will get plenty of PT this year.
Great post, Rocky. Thanks for the info.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:32 PM   #9
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
steelblue would call that type of build the cobra body...

I am excited to see what goes on with running backs at the Y. That is one hell of an under-rated field they have back there. Phil Steele doesn't put any of them in the 1st or 2nd team for the conference, but he rates Asiata the #1 back, and he hasn't played a down of D-1 ball.

From my perspective, DiLuigi is the one that fascinates me the most b/c I don't know what to expect of him. His performance at CIF was absolutely amazing! He could very easilyt be BYUs next Luke Staley.

This RB tandem running behind an incredible OL will make for some a very interesting year at BYU. With Collie back, and some of these freshmen receivers, the cougs may come out blazing offensively.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:56 AM   #10
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Well, I saw a 14 minute highlight clip and completely disagree about him being unimpressive and slow.

BTW, he spent the day today playing at the Z-Receiver position (same position as Michael Reed) going up against G Pittman. Sounds like both looked impressive; at least until Kessman mildly tweaked his ankle.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote