cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
HuskyFreeNorthwest

HuskyFreeNorthwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why I want Huckabee to be the R candidate

It will make this the election season beyond enjoyable to watch CB melt down as the hash out if a lying scum sucking, as Pap called him KKucKabe, bigot is better to vote for than a filthy heather liberal.

I can think of a few who may implode.
HuskyFreeNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in complete agreement.

Among many Mormons, the GOP is more gospel than the gospel itself.

To watch this implosion will be truly satisfying.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

The hypocrisy on Huckabee is pretty disgusting. The problem is both sides think they're honorable on this. An eye for an eye and the whole world ends up blind. (I got that off a bumper sticker)
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:53 PM   #4
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I am in complete agreement.

Among many Mormons, the GOP is more gospel than the gospel itself.

To watch this implosion will be truly satisfying.
Maybe Mormons will finally realize that despite the tremendous efforts of Mormons, they are not welcome in the GOP in any position of real power or respect.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:55 PM   #5
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Heh, so much anger, so much vindictiveness.

Where's Ronnie's "Morning in America" when we need it?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Maybe Mormons will finally realize that despite the tremendous efforts of Mormons, they are not welcome in the GOP in any position of real power or respect.
So you would agree that Romney's Mormonism played a role in the results yesterday? Why do you think Mormons would receive a better reception in the Democratic Party? In other words, convince me that I, as a member of the "self-reliance, people should work for what they get and not feed off the hard work of others" wing of Mormondom, should join with you (I'm giving you a chance to do some missionary work here). I'm also pretty much a "national interest" type on foreign policy and see a quick retreat from Iraq as a bad idea. I'm also very much a believer in the free market and free trade.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
So you would agree that Romney's Mormonism played a role in the results yesterday? Why do you think Mormons would receive a better reception in the Democratic Party? In other words, convince me that I, as a member of the "self-reliance, people should work for what they get and not feed off the hard work of others" wing of Mormondom, should join with you (I'm giving you a chance to do some missionary work here). I'm also pretty much a "national interest" type on foreign policy and see a quick retreat from Iraq as a bad idea. I'm also very much a believer in the free market and free trade.
Of course it played a role in yesterday's results. I simply don't believe it was the deciding factor. Romney's multiple policy switches, IMO, did him more harm than his religion. People wanted someone genuine, and Romney appears anything but.

Why would Mormons receive a better reception with Democrats? Well, for one, the highest ranking Democrat IS a Mormon, and it has never been an issue. Blue Dog Democrats, by the way, are quite in line with your views.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #8
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Of course it played a role in yesterday's results. I simply don't believe it was the deciding factor. Romney's multiple policy switches, IMO, did him more harm than his religion. People wanted someone genuine, and Romney appears anything but.

Why would Mormons receive a better reception with Democrats? Well, for one, the highest ranking Democrat IS a Mormon, and it has never been an issue. Blue Dog Democrats, by the way, are quite in line with your views.
Yeah, but put Reid on a national ticket and I wonder if there wouldn't be a similar whispering campaign.

That Romney's religion played a role bothers me. I feel like we've played ball and the minute one of our own puts his hand forward, the "Christians" bring out their knives. Romney was never even my first choice, I just don't like the overt appeal to bigotry.

We'll see how things go, but I have a very sour taste in my mouth right now. When and where to the Blue Dogs meet? Is there a "Christian" litmus test there as well?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:31 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
a Mormon dem running for president would not be trying to court evangelicals, and would advocate a strong separation between church and state.

Romney of course has done the opposite.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #10
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
a Mormon dem running for president would not be trying to court evangelicals, and would advocate a strong separation between church and state.

Romney of course has done the opposite.
You're correct that Romney's gamble didn't pay off, but I wonder if I could support any Mormon that could win the Dem nomination.

What do I care. Due to your good missionary work, we'll be able to take over Tonga pretty soon.