cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 05:29 PM   #1
HuskyFreeNorthwest

HuskyFreeNorthwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Whittingham obsession

We (collective BYU fans, not individual) are officially more obsessed with Whittingham than we ever were with Meyer or Majerous. I find it funny. I guess if nothing else it has removed all of the pathetic little brother posts from CB, since there is clearly no little brother in this rivalry.

Even here on CG we now are having to declare if we wanted Kyle or Bronco as some sort of test of faith, even though as was pointed out less than half BYU fans wanted Bronco when he was hired.

KW has Utah headed in the right direction (I still believe in spite of Ludwig's inept coaching ability, but that is my own personal obsession). Bronco has BYU headed in the right direction. I think we are entering what are going to be some of the best years in the history of the rivalry. The fact that Whittingham spurned BYU (ethically or not K-Dog and others) only adds to the flavor.
HuskyFreeNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:34 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
We (collective BYU fans, not individual) are officially more obsessed with Whittingham than we ever were with Meyer or [Majerus].
I completely disagree with this premise.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:44 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We (collective BYU fans, not individual) are officially more obsessed with Whittingham than we ever were with Meyer or Majerous. I find it funny. I guess if nothing else it has removed all of the pathetic little brother posts from CB, since there is clearly no little brother in this rivalry.

Even here on CG we now are having to declare if we wanted Kyle or Bronco as some sort of test of faith, even though as was pointed out less than half BYU fans wanted Bronco when he was hired.

KW has Utah headed in the right direction (I still believe in spite of Ludwig's inept coaching ability, but that is my own personal obsession). Bronco has BYU headed in the right direction. I think we are entering what are going to be some of the best years in the history of the rivalry. The fact that Whittingham spurned BYU (ethically or not K-Dog and others) only adds to the flavor.
It's a natural comparison because we almost hired him and he went to work 50 miles away the same time our coach was hired. There does seem to be an obsession with Kyle on CB but it's the same guys that are obsessed with the U on everything. I think it's message board fighting more than obsession. In my daily chats with Cougar fans, friends coworkers family neighbors ward members, Kyle's name doesn't come up.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:47 PM   #4
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Various things go into it. Spurned lover and he isn't true to the faith, are two things he has to deal with that Meyer didn't.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:34 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Ludwig is actually starting to come around. KW's finally starting to allow Ludwig to run an offense the way Ludwig can, rather than get Ludwig to run an offense the way Urban Meyer would.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:37 AM   #6
DJRoss

DJRoss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DJRoss
Default Reason for Obsession...

1. He was a former Cougar
2. He was the top choice for the BYU job
3. He is now coaching the arch enemy Utah Utes
4. BYU fans want bad things to happen to the Ute program although many profess to want or prefer a strong Utah team. By having Utah lose, BYU fans can feel important, carrying an aire of superiority while conversing with Ute fans who know that any efforts to talk smack would be met with a condescending smile.

Is it really that hard to figure out? I mean just reverse the argument and talk about how obsessed Ute fans are with Bronco. The answers would be exactly the same sans the first two with Utah replacing BYU in the above list of reasons.

DUH!

Click on image for my card and blog
DJRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:40 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRoss View Post
4. BYU fans want bad things to happen to the Ute program although many profess to want or prefer a strong Utah team. By having Utah lose, BYU fans can feel important, carrying an aire of superiority while conversing with Ute fans who know that any efforts to talk smack would be met with a condescending smile.

Is it really that hard to figure out? I mean just reverse the argument and talk about how obsessed Ute fans are with Bronco. The answers would be exactly the same sans the first two with Utah replacing BYU in the above list of reasons.

DUH!
Yep. Rivalries will do that.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:45 AM   #8
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Ludwig is actually starting to come around. KW's finally starting to allow Ludwig to run an offense the way Ludwig can, rather than get Ludwig to run an offense the way Urban Meyer would.
i thought he was running an offense more like mac did.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:49 AM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
i thought he was running an offense more like mac did.
He is now running an offense more similar to what Mac's teams ran. The first two seasons he was trying to run the spread option, which he had never run as a coach.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:02 AM   #10
HuskyFreeNorthwest

HuskyFreeNorthwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRoss View Post

DUH!
I didn't wonder why their was an obsession, in fact I stated a couple of the reasons for it in my original post. I am just shocked at how much Cougar fans are obsessed with him, like I said more than Meyer or Majerous IMO (Indy disagrees).

As I said in my original post I think we are heading into a stretch of what may be the best years of the rivalry. The last two have been great football games, and I would expect the same this year. I doubt there are many blowouts in the next few years.

I like that giant emoticon, how did you do that?
HuskyFreeNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote