cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 01:27 AM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Turkey Burgers

This is a good recipe:

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,660199200,00.html

Lean, spicy, juicy. Highly recommended.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:12 AM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBritches View Post
Personally, I think only a cow should be burgered. If you grind a pig, call it sausage, or chorizo. Turkeys disgust me, because of a bad experience i had seeing a turkey up close. If you have ever seen a turkey up close you might not want to eat it. Pretty gross that way. Pigs are that way too, but for me there is something worse about the turkey. I think it has to do with all the skin around its throat and chin. I'm pretty sure they would burger up that skin, because really, what else are they going to do with it? At least with a cow they turn the skin into durable goods.
Think of a turkey as a slow-moving vegetable.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:39 AM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Turkeys look nothing like slow-moving vegetables. They look gross. The skin looks like something you wouldn't want to eat, and when I get that skin texture in my mouth, I just think, "Gross."
You eat turkey skin?
Old 05-08-2007, 06:31 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Turkey is my preferred choice of dead animal flesh. That recipe looks good, Jeff.

Nice find.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:40 PM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
No, GROSS!

If the turkey was a buffalo, and I was a Lamanite, I would be a bad indian, because I would waste all of the buffalo.

I used to like turkey sandwiches best. Then I started buying big chunks of turkey breast, so I could slice it nice and thick for myself, but it was too much like butchering, and made me think too much of the animal. Then I saw a turkey up close, and I saw the skin, and that was the last straw. No more turkey for me.

And you probably eat the skin yourself, because I bet you dimes to dollars that they burger that gobble right up.
Memo to DarkBritches: Never visit a cattle ranch.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:51 PM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
I don't have a problem with cows because they are covered in leather. But I better not visit a slaughter house or you might be right. I think I should eat less meat anyhow. Eliminating turkey is a start.
Fair enough. Now you can stop hijacking my thread.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:08 PM   #7
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Personally, I think only a cow should be burgered. If you grind a pig, call it sausage, or chorizo. Turkeys disgust me, because of a bad experience i had seeing a turkey up close. If you have ever seen a turkey up close you might not want to eat it. Pretty gross that way. Pigs are that way too, but for me there is something worse about the turkey. I think it has to do with all the skin around its throat and chin. I'm pretty sure they would burger up that skin, because really, what else are they going to do with it? At least with a cow they turn the skin into durable goods.
Wow, I'd have to disagree. Having raised both pigs and turkeys as a kid (and having personally slaughtered and butchered the turkeys), I found turkeys much less disgusting than pigs. Of course, after a while I got completely desensitized, and we even started referring to our meat by name at the table.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:21 PM   #8
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
I don't have a problem with cows because they are covered in leather. But I better not visit a slaughter house or you might be right. I think I should eat less meat anyhow. Eliminating turkey is a start.
I'm not a big fan of turkey meat either. I think we should all have ham for Thanksgiving dinner. It really has nothing to do with what the Turkey looks like though, I just don't like the taste. The dark parts are better than the light meat, but none of it is really all that great.

Next time you eat pork you should remember that pork was the meat of choice for the conquered Aztec people. They told the spanish that it tastes like human flesh. They still eat a lot of pork in Mexico.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:25 PM   #9
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
I'm not a big fan of turkey meat either. I think we should all have ham for Thanksgiving dinner.
To paraphrase Steve Buscemi in Big Daddy, "If you don't like turkey for Thanksgiving why don't you get the hell out?"
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:50 PM   #10
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
To paraphrase Steve Buscemi in Big Daddy, "If you don't like turkey for Thanksgiving why don't you get the hell out?"
What's it to you?
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote