cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How True do you think the Book of Mormon is?
Every word of it is true. 8 22.86%
It's mostly true, but with a couple of errors. 11 31.43%
The events are more or less true, but reported with an extreme historical bias. 6 17.14%
The text could very roughly correlate to a plausible series of events. 3 8.57%
Some Joe pulled the thing out of his hat. It's false. 7 20.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2007, 04:00 PM   #21
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Because you are a "seeing is believing" kind of guy, it's expected that you have the belief you do about the Book of Mormon.

Then again, perhaps you have the faith that it's a load of crap, as you have no proof that the "historical outline" doesn't exist.
I'm making no affirmative claims here. Just asking those who claim an element of historicity to provide a fly speck of evidence to prove their claim, which implies necessarily it is empirically grounded.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:19 PM   #22
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I'm making no affirmative claims here. Just asking those who claim an element of historicity to provide a fly speck of evidence to prove their claim, which implies necessarily it is empirically grounded.
Oh come on. You are being completely disingenuous here. You keep asking for a "fly speck" or a "mustard seed" as if you would warmly welcome the slightest bit of evidence. The fact of the matter is that lots of people have produced bits of evidence, including FARMS. And you are on record as despising FARMS. So clearly you have seen bits of evidence and have thoroughly rejected them. That is fine, but please stop asking for a "fly speck". It's embarassing.

The horse is dead, SU. Let it go.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:48 PM   #23
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Oh come on. You are being completely disingenuous here. You keep asking for a "fly speck" or a "mustard seed" as if you would warmly welcome the slightest bit of evidence. The fact of the matter is that lots of people have produced bits of evidence, including FARMS. And you are on record as despising FARMS. So clearly you have seen bits of evidence and have thoroughly rejected them. That is fine, but please stop asking for a "fly speck". It's embarassing.

The horse is dead, SU. Let it go.
I got it. There are reed boats on Lake Titikaka, like the Nile.

—Paul Auster
Old 04-28-2007, 09:54 PM   #24
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

You wanted a mustard seed. You got a mustard seed. You then proceeded to gripe about how all you got was a mustard seed.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:04 AM   #25
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
You wanted a mustard seed. You got a mustard seed. You then proceeded to gripe about how all you got was a mustard seed.
I wonder if I'm the only one here who has been to Lake Titikakka. I confess Egypt proabably didn't cross my mind while I was there. Well, okay, maybe it did. My dad was a big Thor Hyerdol fan, and I was with him. He may have talked about the reed boats.

—Paul Auster
Old 04-29-2007, 12:30 AM   #26
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I wonder if I'm the only one here who has been to Lake Titikakka. I confess Egypt proabably didn't cross my mind while I was there. Well, okay, maybe it did. My dad was a big Thor Hyerdol fan, and I was with him. He may have talked about the reed boats.
I knew nothing about Mormons when I watched Thor Hydahl's reed boat traverse the ocean. That was fascinating to me. Although Thor did not prove the Eygyptian crossed the ocean, he showed it could have been done by boats of that genre.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:42 AM   #27
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I knew nothing about Mormons when I watched Thor Hydahl's reed boat traverse the ocean. That was fascinating to me. Although Thor did not prove the Eygyptian crossed the ocean, he showed it could have been done by boats of that genre.
For many years Hyerdahl was a sort of an LDS demigod. Apparently he still is, to Indy. Here's what at least Wikipedia says about his legacy:

"Owing to poor scholarship, coupled to a lack of scientific methodology in his undertakings, much of Heyerdahl's life work is controversial. Serious scholars see a lack of necessary caution in Heyerdahl's conclusions and theories, as well as contempt for previous, less sensational, scholarly work on the same issues. Therefore he is not considered a serious scientist, but an adventurer in intellectual circles worldwide.

"Nevertheless, on the positive side, it can be said that Heyerdahl's books served to inspire several generations of readers. He introduced young people to the arid fields of archaeology and ethnology by making them attractive through his colorful adventures. This Norwegian adventurer often broke the bounds of conventional thinking and was unapologetic for doing so. 'Boundaries?', he is quoted as asking, 'I have never seen one but I hear that they exist in the minds of most people.'"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor_Heyerdahl

—Paul Auster
Old 04-29-2007, 01:44 AM   #28
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
For many years Hyerdahl was a sort of an LDS demigod. Apparently he still is, to Indy. Here's what at least Wikipedia says about his legacy:

"Owing to poor scholarship, coupled to a lack of scientific methodology in his undertakings, much of Heyerdahl's life work is controversial. Serious scholars see a lack of necessary caution in Heyerdahl's conclusions and theories, as well as contempt for previous, less sensational, scholarly work on the same issues. Therefore he is not considered a serious scientist, but an adventurer in intellectual circles worldwide.

"Nevertheless, on the positive side, it can be said that Heyerdahl's books served to inspire several generations of readers. He introduced young people to the arid fields of archaeology and ethnology by making them attractive through his colorful adventures. This Norwegian adventurer often broke the bounds of conventional thinking and was unapologetic for doing so. 'Boundaries?', he is quoted as asking, 'I have never seen one but I hear that they exist in the minds of most people.'"

I don't give a crap about Thor Heyerdahl. The significance is the nearly identical constructs of their reed boats.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 02:29 AM   #29
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
My cousin was near that lake for 22 months of his mission. He stood out, as he was 6'4" and about 230 lbs. back then. And he has blond hair and fair skin. I don't know if he saw any Egyptians, but then, he may not have been looking for any Egyptians. But he did eat fermented potatoes.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:20 AM   #30
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

When was he a hero for Mormons?

I have not seen him mentioned. I liked him, as a kid, when I wasn't LDS. Was he LDS?

He just seemed to have some cool adventures, that was all.