cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2007, 08:32 PM   #11
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronshaf View Post
Yeah, because when someone tells you that you're wrong and ought to adopt something else that is true, that itself is ABSOLUTE SURE EVIDENCE that you are right!

What a way to live.

I prefer the advice of J. Reuben Clark:

"If we have the truth, it cannot be harmed by investigation. If we have not the truth, it ought to be harmed."
Aaron, this isn't your target audience. We've investigated just about everything and no one here that I know of has opted for the Evangelical movement. You have nothing new for us to investigate.

But your presence here and at Mormon events provides ongoing fullfilment of the words Moroni spoke to Joseph Smith, prophesying that Smith's "name should be had for good and evil among all nations, kindreds, and tongues, or that it should be both good and evil spoken of among all people."

Here's something new that I suggest. Why not share with us your sincere beliefs and we can all discuss where we agree and where we diverge. I suspect that would be the course our Savior would take. The upside is that you'll gain a much greater understanding of these Mormons to whom you feel called.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.

Last edited by myboynoah; 01-09-2007 at 08:39 PM.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:48 PM   #12
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Yeah, because when someone tells you that you're wrong and ought to adopt something else that is true, that itself is ABSOLUTE SURE EVIDENCE that you are right!

What a way to live.

I prefer the advice of J. Reuben Clark:
Brother Clarks' quote cuts both ways ... oh the irony.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:58 AM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Was that a Mr. Rogers production? With the music and the droning narrator I kept waiting for the trolley to return us home from the magical world of make believe.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:21 AM   #14
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Hey! Don't knock Mr. Rogers. He would never put together a video to slam anybody, even a politician.

Plus, his sweater has been enshrined in the Smithsonian, which is the closest thing we have to canonization in the U.S.

And besides, I liked the Trolley and King Friday.

(Do they ever actually interview anyone affiliated with the LDS church in that video? or just outsiders?)

Last edited by BarbaraGordon; 01-10-2007 at 02:26 AM.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:27 AM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Hey! Don't knock Mr. Rogers. He would never put together a video to slam anybody, even a politician.

Plus, his sweater has been enshrined in the Smithsonian, which is the closest thing we have to canonization in the U.S.

And besides, I liked he Trolley and King Friday.

(Do they ever actually interview anyone affiliated with the LDS church in that video? or just outsiders?)
I like Mr. Rogers - he was a great guy. I agreee he wouldn't ever do anything like this, but the music and the way the narrator talked reminded me of the way Fred would talk to kids during his show.

The trolley ruled. When I was young, I wanted the trolley; not a replica, but the trolley.

Mr. McPheeley creeped me out though.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:39 AM   #16
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

It's the tinkly music that makes the video seem Rogers-worthy. Like it's coming straight out of "Picture Picture."

I loved Mr. Rogers.

My favorite was when Big Bird visited the Land of Make Believe. For a young Barbara, it was a TV moment surpassed only once. By the episode on Sesame Street when the grownups realized that Snuffy was in fact a real person, and not a figment of Big Bird's imagination. THAT was a glorious day.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:56 AM   #17
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
It's the tinkly music that makes the video seem Rogers-worthy. Like it's coming straight out of "Picture Picture."

I loved Mr. Rogers.

My favorite was when Big Bird visited the Land of Make Believe. For a young Barbara, it was a TV moment surpassed only once. By the episode on Sesame Street when the grownups realized that Snuffy was in fact a real person, and not a figment of Big Bird's imagination. THAT was a glorious day.
I never saw that episode of Sesame Street. I have, however, with my 4 year old seen Snuffy with the other characters on the show and wondered how that was possible.

Did you ever see Stewie Griffins' vist it Mr. Rogers neighborhood on Family Guy? Absolutely hilarious, IMO.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:04 AM   #18
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

This could possibly be the greatest hijacking ever on this site. Well done!
Old 01-10-2007, 03:13 AM   #19
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This is exactly what i was thinking. I am glad you can learn so much about the LDS church from people that dont belong to it. That is amazing.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:04 AM   #20
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Another typical bitter apostate. Did SU send you here for shits n giggles just to see what the reaction would be from the masses?