cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2008, 03:13 AM   #1
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American
Default Plans for Rome Temple

I managed to find out a little bit about the temple in Rome. Turns out, the plan is to build it out of an existing building within the city itself, much like the New York, Hong Kong, and Vernal temples, though the design of this one will be somewhat more elaborate.

Here is an artist's rendering:

Old 10-06-2008, 03:20 AM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Yesterday while discussing how expensive land is in Rome, someone stated that President Monson said that the church already owned the tract of land on which they planned to build. I don't remember whether he said (or alluded to) that during the talk, or whether this person was implying to have insider information.

Meanwhile although Rome is the center of the Catholic faith, I doubt that the LDS temple will be the only non-Catholic religious structure there. In a metro area of that size there must be a dozen religions who are already represented. (That's my American life-with-a-First-Amendment assumption talking).
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:24 AM   #3
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Yesterday while discussing how expensive land is in Rome, someone stated that President Monson said that the church already owned the tract of land on which they planned to build. I don't remember whether he said (or alluded to) that during the talk, or whether this person was implying to have insider information.

Meanwhile although Rome is the center of the Catholic faith, I doubt that the LDS temple will be the only non-Catholic religious structure there. In a metro area of that size there must be a dozen religions who are already represented. (That's my American life-with-a-First-Amendment assumption talking).
Well, the property is disputed. A splinter group of the church currently claims ownership. Not helping matters is the fact that the church has left the property pretty much untouched for a significant period of time, which is tantamount to yielding their property rights to others. 2,000 years of apostasy will do that.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:29 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

it's sad that when a temple is going up in Jackson County, the entire church ignores that and gets turned on about the church going up in Rome.

He that can hear, let him hear.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:06 AM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
it's sad that when a temple is going up in Jackson County, the entire church ignores that and gets turned on about the church going up in Rome.

Well naturally, it's about pride. Take THAT, whore of all the earth!!

Somewhere from the beyond, brm is smiling.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:08 AM   #6
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

A Rome temple will be fantastic.

Now Americans can take a break during their Da Vinci Code tours and pop by for a session or two.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:14 AM   #7
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Great point........if they would have

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

called it the Jackson County Temple, that would have gotten noticed.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:57 AM   #8
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

There have been rumors for years that the church already owned the land in Rome for a temple. I would bet Il Pad knows the site where the temple is rumored to be built. Supposedly, President Hinckley picked it out a while back but the church waited on an announcement until there were enough priesthood holders.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:58 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

How is the Rome temple going to be staffed?

For heaven's sake, the Washington DC temple has missionaries from other parts of the United States called to be temple workers, because the members there can't/won't staff it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:43 PM   #10
TheAzzuri

TheAzzuri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
There have been rumors for years that the church already owned the land in Rome for a temple. I would bet Il Pad knows the site where the temple is rumored to be built. Supposedly, President Hinckley picked it out a while back but the church waited on an announcement until there were enough priesthood holders.

I served there about 10 years ago and these rumors are consistent with what I have been told. I was told by a fairly reliable source that land was purchased for both a temple and a chapel in the late 90's. It won't be in Rome proper, but north of the city on the surrounding hills.

Nonetheless, this is pretty exciting stuff.
________
Cheap cyma airsoft capacity magazine metaltac

Last edited by TheAzzuri; 05-06-2011 at 11:50 PM.
TheAzzuri is offline   Reply With Quote