cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2008, 10:12 PM   #1
Anthesian

Anthesian is on a distinguished road
Default Hypocrisy and the Theological World

Why do we ask of others what we are not willing to do ourselves? Why do we present a standard when we don't live up to it as well? The LDS D&C tells us that we must forgive in order to be forgiven...why is this not practiced? Is it not a revelation from the Lord?

I have forgiven and I ask for forgiveness of the wrongs I have committed. It doesn't matter the circumstance...I will forgive.

We have all been wronged, but what is the purpose of holding a grudge? Does it provide us with pride in ourselves so that we may label others and denigrate them and thus perpetuating our own arrogance? Does it make us feel more spiritually superior? This sounds a lot like the Pharisees and the Sadducees.

Christianity in all forms has become arrogant. It wants its members to follow rules and abide a standard but does not wish to abide by the same. This is hypocrisy. If we allow this arrogance to continue then Christ atoned for nothing. We have learned nothing. We should be destroyed.

I pray that I may surpass such human imperfection and attempt to be more like the Christ of Christian scripture. I only say what I say because I am trying to learn from my mistakes and turn my shortcomings into beneficial moral principles. I call no one to repentance but myself and allow the God of this world to be my only judge.

Peace

The woman caught in adultery deserves the stoning she didn't get. Jesus...why did you have to stick your nose where it didn't belong?
Anthesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthesian View Post
Why do we ask of others what we are not willing to do ourselves? Why do we present a standard when we don't live up to it as well? The LDS D&C tells us that we must forgive in order to be forgiven...why is this not practiced? Is it not a revelation from the Lord?

I have forgiven and I ask for forgiveness of the wrongs I have committed. It doesn't matter the circumstance...I will forgive.

We have all been wronged, but what is the purpose of holding a grudge? Does it provide us with pride in ourselves so that we may label others and denigrate them and thus perpetuating our own arrogance? Does it make us feel more spiritually superior? This sounds a lot like the Pharisees and the Sadducees.

Christianity in all forms has become arrogant. It wants its members to follow rules and abide a standard but does not wish to abide by the same. This is hypocrisy. If we allow this arrogance to continue then Christ atoned for nothing. We have learned nothing. We should be destroyed.

I pray that I may surpass such human imperfection and attempt to be more like the Christ of Christian scripture. I only say what I say because I am trying to learn from my mistakes and turn my shortcomings into beneficial moral principles. I call no one to repentance but myself and allow the God of this world to be my only judge.

Peace
Have you met jay santos yet? You and he would really get along.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:15 PM   #3
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Peace

What are you talking about (I mean besides yourself, again, at length)?
Old 10-02-2008, 10:17 PM   #4
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Monkeyman, you are the funniest mammal on this board.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:18 PM   #5
Anthesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Have you met jay santos yet? You and he would really get along.
Hmmm...being facetious? If only we could take the mockery we commit against the 'gospel' to church with us and openly speak the way we do here in sacrament meeting. The LDS church would then truly become the "True Church of Jesus Christ".

Peace

The woman caught in adultery deserves the stoning she didn't get. Jesus...why did you have to stick your nose where it didn't belong?
Old 10-02-2008, 10:22 PM   #6
Tex

Quote:
Hmmm...being facetious? If only we could take the mockery we commit against the 'gospel' to church with us and openly speak the way we do here in sacrament meeting. The LDS church would then truly become the "True Church of Jesus Christ".

Peace
Nope, no facetioustry here. Santos is big on the non-judgmental train. For a moment, I thought you were him.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 10-02-2008, 10:22 PM   #7
Anthesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I keep taking attacks from people on this board and I only wanted to share my understandings of Christ's teachings. The message applies to us all. Oh wait...I'm wrong again. Mormons are perfect. They do no wrong unless they are 'apostates'. Then we need to start quarantining those damn apostates. Lets keep them from our kids because like herpes...they are infectious.

Peace of the greatest dissenter ever (Jesus Christ)!

Old 10-02-2008, 10:26 PM   #8
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Monkeyman, you are the funniest mammal on this board.
Something is in the water today.

Archaea is busting chops, creekster is getting fiesty, and SeattleUte is obsessed with a piece of poo.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #9
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Something is in the water today.

Archaea is busting chops, creekster is getting fiesty, and SeattleUte is obsessed with a piece of poo.
Perhaps someone spiked the Metamucil.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:33 PM   #10
Tex

Quote:
Peace of the greatest dissenter ever (Jesus Christ)!
That's it ... I am making "Jesus was an Apostate" T-shirts. I'll wear it to the next ward activity.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young