cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 01:43 AM   #21
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronshaf View Post
By the way... and I say this with a smile...

Do you guys realize how much ad hominem you use? Good grief, I'd swear you have a picture of me in your garage with darts all over it :-)
You do realize the irony of this post ... or don't you? Has it occured to you that your initial post starting this thread and even the intent of your entire mission to Utah is in fact ad hominem?
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:52 AM   #22
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't make Aaron have to think. He's not good at originality. I'll help by copying and pasting your question:

Hey Aaron, on the 12th day if September, 2007, it was noted that tooblue posted this question:

You do realize the irony of this post ... or don't you? Has it occured to you that your initial post starting this thread and even the intent of your entire mission to Utah is in fact ad hominem?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:19 AM   #23
aaronshaf

aaronshaf is on a distinguished road

I view ad hominem as when you attack the person as a way of avoiding specific issues (like truth-claims). If you can point to where I'm trying to avoid the truth-claim issues by attacking someone's character, then I'd like to hear about it.
aaronshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:20 AM   #24
aaronshaf

Quote:
So are you back in Ohio?
No, I live in Midvale, UT now.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:25 AM   #25
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I view ad hominem as when you attack the person as a way of avoiding specific issues (like truth-claims). If you can point to where I'm trying to avoid the truth-claim issues by attacking someone's character, then I'd like to hear about it.
Our problem with you is you're a cutter and paster, and appear not to understand what you post. If we wanted cutting and pasting, we'd simply find a mindless googler and read that crap.

To debate with a robot is no fun. I've not seen you cogitate and form original thoughts. I know what evangelical Christians spew out and it's not very interesting. I'd prefer Catholicism or Judaism to the mindless verbage of evangelicals. I'd prefer atheism to the senseless of evangelicals.

I'm generally familiar with historical Christianity as it developed once prophecy died, through the Greek based theologians. I'm familiar with the debates of Arius and Athanasius. And other elements of cristology. Despite what evangelicals portray, even ancient christians did not agree upon their theology and routinely excommunicated those with whom the less powerful disagreed.

Last edited by Archaea; 09-13-2007 at 04:33 AM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:52 AM   #26
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

What I think is funny about all of this is that aaronshaf seems to think he's telling a bunch of Mormons about what Elder Eyring said. As though we didn't know already from the Church website, listserves, LDS Today, By Common Consent, the Utah papers, or whatnot.

I hope you link us to the October GC talks, aaron. That would be swell.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:14 PM   #27
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Am I the only one that finds it funny that he has a friend (1 of 3) named deeznutz?
Old 09-13-2007, 01:57 PM   #28
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
A definition of ad hominem that is a definition for you and your particular brand of zeal: 'appealing to one's prejudices, emotions, or special interests rather than to one's intellect or reason.'

Do you come to this site or did you move to Utah to share the word of God ... or to 'correct' and save Mormons from their evil and blasphemous faith?

Be careful how you answer, if you choose to answer, for your many posts on this site alone will condemn you -example number one in this very thread:

Quote:
Sometimes when I want to be full of hot air I inhale the works of Hugh Nibley. I think "garrulous" is the right word for him.
Which by the way is like unto another definition of ad hominem: 'attacking an opponent's character rather than answering his argument.'
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:15 PM   #29
aaronshaf

Quote:
What I think is funny about all of this is that aaronshaf seems to think he's telling a bunch of Mormons about what Elder Eyring said. As though we didn't know already from the Church website, listserves, LDS Today, By Common Consent, the Utah papers, or whatnot.
Of course I knew you guys already knew about it. In fact, there were already discussion threads over it on this board. I thought you'd appreciate the video of it too.

But you guys are just plain vicious sometimes.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:17 PM   #30
aaronshaf

Quote:
Do you come to this site or did you move to Utah to share the word of God ... or to 'correct' and save Mormons from their evil and blasphemous faith?
Both.

Quote:
Which by the way is like unto another definition of ad hominem: 'attacking an opponent's character rather than answering his argument.'
What argument of his was I supposed to be answering? My reply about Nibley was part of a joke to a silly question about floating.