cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2006, 07:07 PM   #1
Alkili

Alkili is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Suicide

i have been wondering what happens to people who commit suicide.

i have heard from church leaders before that people who commit suicide are pretty much damned. that doesn't really jive well with my thoughts about the mercy of God.

i was at a funeral once of someone who commited suicide and overheard someone telling one of the family members the idea that their loved one had no hope.

i didn't feel it was a very appropriate time to have that dicussion, and at the time it didn't seem right that justice can claim someome from their family members forever.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:16 PM   #2
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

If you believe in a just God, you cannot possibly believe in the idea of eternal damnation for someone who commits suicide. It defies logic.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:25 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

You can't dump every suicide into the same bucket. I personally don't know what happens to those that commit suicide, but I don't think I'm going out too far on a limb to say they all aren't automatically doomed to eternal damnation.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:27 PM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Suicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkili
i have heard from church leaders before that people who commit suicide are pretty much damned. that doesn't really jive well with my thoughts about the mercy of God.
I think that the suicide=automatic damnation idea is a vestige of the old days when little was known about mental illness and leaders were often asked to opine on what would and wouldn't get one sent to hell. I think that the idea came from the thought that suicide was "self murder" and therefore equal to murder on the punishment scale. I don't believe any such thought ever approached the point of being doctrine. It would not surprise me if the idea was perpetuated by the book Mormon Doctrine to be honest with you. I don't have a copy handy and so I can't say for sure.

I don't think you'd be able to find any recent commentary on the subject that even approached the suicide=damnation idea. On the contrary, I think you would likely find a talk or 2 given in the last 15 years that would emphasize mercy for those who had done so. Now, when it comes to euthanasia, the church takes a hard line stance. But that is a whole different animal.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:41 PM   #5
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Is suicide wrong? Undoubtedly. However, you have to take into account the mental state of one who commits suicide. I can't imagine that most people who commit suicide were in a stable mental state. Accountability is limited, if not completely removed, in such a state.
All-American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:21 PM   #6
pedrotea

pedrotea

not sure I can add anything that hasn't already been said, but here is my two cents. We all make choices in life, and in making those choices we all have different circumstances that will lead to the choice we make. (not sure if that makes sense but oh well). I think that just like everything else that we do, we will be judged on a case by case basis. That is the beauty of the whole mercy thing.
pedrotea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:39 PM   #7
fuegote

fuegote

This is one reason the Atonement is so amazing. nothing in the church, or nothing Jesus Christ did on earth was as a group. Every ordinance, every action was done individually, "one by one."

So to say that all suicides are damned to me doesn't feel right. I think each will be dealt with on an individual basis.

I do think that Constantine was a great movie and discussed the catholic view on suicide: automatic damnation.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:50 PM   #8
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

The whole suicide = damnation thing rings a little to Catholic for me. I know that was (possibly is) one of their claims. I wonder if we picked it up from them and kind of adopted it as one of our little phantom doctrines.

I agree with what most of you have said. No one knows how a suicide will be judged. Even our imperfect system of laws recognizes diminished capacity. It's hard to imagine that God doesn't take that into account.
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:31 PM   #9
outlier

outlier is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
Is suicide wrong? Undoubtedly. However, you have to take into account the mental state of one who commits suicide. I can't imagine that most people who commit suicide were in a stable mental state. Accountability is limited, if not completely removed, in such a state.
Maybe they weren't valiant in the pre-existence.

Yeah, I'm sort of kidding. Honestly, I abhor discussions about who gets into heaven and who doesn't -- unless we're talking about me personally, that's God's business, not mine.

o

The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.
- W. Churchill
outlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:20 AM   #10
FMCoug

FMCoug

I am certain there are some suicides that would qualify as "self murder". Not everybody who commits suicide is mentally ill. A criminal who goes out in a blaze of glory instead of prison and euthanasia are two examples.

But the vast majority of suicides are suffering from severe mental illness and are not accountable for their actions.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote