cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How True do you think the Book of Mormon is?
Every word of it is true. 8 22.86%
It's mostly true, but with a couple of errors. 11 31.43%
The events are more or less true, but reported with an extreme historical bias. 6 17.14%
The text could very roughly correlate to a plausible series of events. 3 8.57%
Some Joe pulled the thing out of his hat. It's false. 7 20.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2007, 04:01 PM   #81
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
What I find funny is that Jerusalem finds its way onto that list.

This must have been a numbers game.
Some of those places may not have even been established yet by 1829. I just looked up Rama, Ontario and found that the area was open for settlement in 1820, but wasn't actually surveyed until 1834. Does a place have to be surveyed to end up on a map? Probably so. This source doesn't say when it was actually settled, only when it was opened. It could have been closer to 1834 than to 1820 before there were enough people there to even bother putting on a map. Too late for the BoM. Kiskimentas, PA didn't organize as a township until 1831 although it's named after the Kiskimentas river. But it's hardly a major river and it's far from a slam dunk that a minor river in another state, of which there are thousands in the area would be known to Joseph Smith at that time. I'm sure there are problems like that with other places on Fusnik's map but I didn't look up the rest yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_County,_Ontario
http://www.pa-roots.com/~armstrong/s...y/chap10a.html

Last edited by BlueK; 04-30-2007 at 04:11 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:49 PM   #82
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Some of those places may not have even been established yet by 1829. I just looked up Rama, Ontario and found that the area was open for settlement in 1820, but wasn't actually surveyed until 1834. Does a place have to be surveyed to end up on a map? Probably so. This source doesn't say when it was actually settled, only when it was opened. It could have been closer to 1834 than to 1820 before there were enough people there to even bother putting on a map. Too late for the BoM. Kiskimentas, PA didn't organize as a township until 1831 although it's named after the Kiskimentas river. But it's hardly a major river and it's far from a slam dunk that a minor river in another state, of which there are thousands in the area would be known to Joseph Smith at that time. I'm sure there are problems like that with other places on Fusnik's map but I didn't look up the rest yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_County,_Ontario
http://www.pa-roots.com/~armstrong/s...y/chap10a.html
So, if I understand you correctly, you are suggesting that these towns formed and named themselves using BofM geography as their guide. Based on the evidence, I too can draw no other conclusion.

Interesting.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:56 PM   #83
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
So, if I understand you correctly, you are suggesting that these towns formed and named themselves using BofM geography as their guide. Based on the evidence, I too can draw no other conclusion.

Interesting.
It took me all of five minutes to start questioning whether some of these places even existed in 1829. And it turns out at least a couple didn't. And even if the rest did exist, they were all very small podunk wilderness settlements that could not have been around for very long and therefore wouldn't have been known by people living fairly close by, much less hundreds of miles away. It's not like Joseph had yahoomaps or a Rand McNally road atlas at his disposal. I don't see how even a HS educated person should fall for this one.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote