cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2007, 05:01 AM   #11
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I had a buddy back in grad school that used to number his socks by pair. Monday he wore pair #1, Tuesday #2 and so on. That way he was sure that they all got equal wear.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:20 AM   #12
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

In my house I do 98% of the cooking.

I do 100% of the shopping.

100% of the Dr. Appointments.

100% of the school/pta/sports stuff.

My wife has a terrible mother and she grew up not wanting to have any children because she didn't want to be a parent like her mother.

We have 2 kids now and this was kinda the bargain that I struck. And to be completely honest..... I wouldn't have it any other way. I love to shop and cook.

My 14 year old daughter can't stand cooking. My 9 year old girl absolutely loves it.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:17 PM   #13
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

usually i am. wife and daughter are out feeding horses when i get home so i usually throw the frozen meal in the oven.
so technically, the frozen food factory is the cook and i'm just the unfreezer.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:32 PM   #14
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I am. I worked in a restaurant while in college, and got interested in food while talking to the chef there. After Mike and I got married, we couldn't afford to eat out , so I learned to cook different foods. Mike gave me a subsciption to Food and Wine for my birthday soon after we were married. I was slightly offended at first, but it was a good way to dive into it. If I didn't like food so much, I probably wouldn't bother most of the time.

Mike claims he could be a great cook if he tried. Very annoying. It's also annoying when he does his best Tom Colicchio impression to judge my food.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:27 PM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Burger King or Fazoli's.

My daughter enjoys cooking more than either of us. We eat very few cooked meals each week.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:24 PM   #16
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

We cook our dinners rarely. In a typical week, we get takeout 2-3 times, eat at one of our families 1-time a week, cook up our own meals probably 2 times a week and go out to eat 1-2 times a week.

My wife grew up in a family where they rarely cooked their own meals and she has carried on the tradition to our little family. I like cooking but I am only good at cooking one or two things.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:34 PM   #17
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
We cook our dinners rarely. In a typical week, we get takeout 2-3 times, eat at one of our families 1-time a week, cook up our own meals probably 2 times a week and go out to eat 1-2 times a week.

My wife grew up in a family where they rarely cooked their own meals and she has carried on the tradition to our little family. I like cooking but I am only good at cooking one or two things.
Wow. I would eat out frequently if I could afford it; however, it gets expensive taking a family of 7 out to dinner (or buying takeout) even once a week. Our current grocery budget is approximately $150/week. That equates to a roughly $1 person-meal cost (assuming three meals per person per day). It's difficult for my family to eat out under $40 (unless you count the McDonalds value menu as eating out), Thus, eating out even two times a week would be $80/week - a $5 person-meal cost. Subtract the $14 I would save and the true person-meal cost is $4.70 - still over four times as expensive to eat out than to eat in.

If I was single, or if it was just Mrs. Meanie and I, we could probably eat out cheaper than we could eat in. However, when you add more people you get economies of scale so eating in is much more cost-effective. I like eating out, but I like being able to afford BYU football season tickets even better.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:58 PM   #18
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
I am. I worked in a restaurant while in college, and got interested in food while talking to the chef there. After Mike and I got married, we couldn't afford to eat out , so I learned to cook different foods. Mike gave me a subsciption to Food and Wine for my birthday soon after we were married. I was slightly offended at first, but it was a good way to dive into it. If I didn't like food so much, I probably wouldn't bother most of the time.

Mike claims he could be a great cook if he tried. Very annoying. It's also annoying when he does his best Tom Colicchio impression to judge my food.
Farrah you are a fabulous cook. Mike could maybe cook. But the real question is, could he clean up?
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote