cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2008, 03:53 PM   #11
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthesian View Post
This is the beginning of this essay:

Homesexuality is the sexual orientation of at least ten percent of the world population. In this world, there are Christian churches that view homosexuality as an abomination (Leviticus 20). There are other churches that claim to be accepting of homosexuals but require that those who struggle with same-sex attraction remain celibate their entire lives.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is one of these churches. The LDS church has had a progressive stand on the causes of homosexuality over the last few decades as psychological and biological research has granted new information. However, their position of true tolerance has been unmoved.

Latter-day Saints have been indoctrinated since they were very young on the structure of a family. This same teaching has been perpetuated through "The Family: A Proclamation to the World". Marriage is defined as one man and one woman. But what about our Saints that struggle and cope with same-gender attraction? We are taught that God has a plan for us. What is his divine plan for his children who know they are outside the marital norm as viewed by the LDS church?

In this essay, I will provide historical information, although biased, to grant insight into the spiritual and ecclesiastical abuse inflicted upon the gay and lesbian Latter-day Saints. I will also address three categories in which these members may fall under whether it be only one category or all three.
Do you seriously believe that 1 in 10 people is gay?

So if I walk into church and line 10 people up 1 is going to be gay? LOL

Try again.

As for the martis piece, why would the man kill himself if he were trying to do something to bring attention to a problem, most people think when someone does something like that, they are just kooky. I think the guy was kooky, like I think you are kooky, and you are also not honest; hard to read something you write and not look at your past BS shenanigans and then be asked to take you seriously.
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:02 PM   #12
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Blue View Post
Do you seriously believe that 1 in 10 people is gay?

So if I walk into church and line 10 people up 1 is going to be gay? LOL
You clearly have a solid grasp on the math.

Similarly, almost 20% of the world's population is Chinese. So if you walk into Church and line up everyone, 20% of them should be Chinese.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:13 PM   #13
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post

Similarly, almost 20% of the world's population is Chinese. So if you walk into Church and line up everyone, 20% of them should be Chinese.
In my small ward that might be right if everyone in my family shows up.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:54 PM   #14
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post

My bad, I didn't see where he stated that 10 percent of San Franciscos population is gay, I only saw the part where he stated 10 percent of the worlds population is gay.

Stupid statement that is clearly FALSE!!!!
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:04 AM   #15
Anthesian

Anthesian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Blue View Post
My bad, I didn't see where he stated that 10 percent of San Franciscos population is gay, I only saw the part where he stated 10 percent of the worlds population is gay.

Stupid statement that is clearly FALSE!!!!
This was based on a statistic in my Psychology of Human Sexuality class. I guess textbooks and college professors are as good liars as I am.

If you have a more accurate statistic...you're welcome to share it friend.

Peace

The woman caught in adultery deserves the stoning she didn't get. Jesus...why did you have to stick your nose where it didn't belong?
Anthesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:04 PM   #16
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Where is Rosa Parks? I will gladly sit next to her at the front of the bus.
Three years after her death she may stink so you may have that bus all to yourself. Waters is always looking for a cause but I think he may even pass on this one.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:58 PM   #17
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This was based on a statistic in my Psychology of Human Sexuality class. I guess textbooks and college professors are as good liars as I am.

Peace
The ten percent stat is a lie, it stems from a prison study which determined that male prisoners from the ages of 18 to 31, ten percent had admitted to participating in gay sex. I believe the study was performed by Johnson and Masters.

Most reliable data shows an incidence rate between one and two percent. I defy you to find a reliable study showing a societal incidence rate exceeding the German and Dutch army studies.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:24 PM   #18
Travis Henry

Travis Henry is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Peace
I don't pretend to be the authority on this, but I believe the 10% stat originated through Kinsey's studies and I think it has been largely discredited. I think Kinsey got the stat after studying the male prison population.

IIRC, the true state is 1 to 2%.

BTW, for the 10% stat to be generally true, it would mean that on average 1 in 10 teenagers were gay. I understand DDD's point that in adulthood gays will typically congregate to areas of more acceptance and larger gay communities. But again, that stat would have to mean that 10% of all the teenagers in the wards across the church were gay. I simply don't think that's the case.
Travis Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:41 AM   #19
Anthesian

Anthesian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The ten percent stat is a lie, it stems from a prison study which determined that male prisoners from the ages of 18 to 31, ten percent had admitted to participating in gay sex. I believe the study was performed by Johnson and Masters.

Most reliable data shows an incidence rate between one and two percent. I defy you to find a reliable study showing a societal incidence rate exceeding the German and Dutch army studies.
Thank you for clarifying. I will look for a more accurate statistic on the American Psychology Association's webpage.

Peace

The woman caught in adultery deserves the stoning she didn't get. Jesus...why did you have to stick your nose where it didn't belong?
Anthesian is offline   Reply With Quote