cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why Mitt makes sense as VP

1. economic issue
2. personality. Yes, he can come across as wooden and fake. But at the end, he really seemed to have some optimism and co-do spirit. And youth, at least compared to McCain.

McCain desperately needs a bump. I don't know if Mitt provides that bump, but McCain needs to do something to grab the headlines.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I agree on the economy. But you have to admit that Romney turned people off with his personality. Everyone not Mormon hated him by the time his campaign was over.

The economy is reason #2 to choose him. Reason #1 is money. He has lots of his own and he will raise $100 million out of Mass, Mich, and the Mormon community within 60 days if chosen by McCain.

Frankly Romney is the Republican's only hope of matching the Obama money machine.

But McCain hates him. It would be a hold your nose pick. But that has happened before.
You speak of Romney's personal approach as if its fixed. Did you happen to hear his CPAC speech when he suspended his campaign? I think the entire Republican party experienced a bout of buyer's remorse thereafter. Romney is capable of a warm approach, IMO, but he wasn't prepared for the national exposure he got.

I think the McCain-Romney animus is overrated. Based on what I've read, the true "hatred" was more between staff than the candidates themselves, which really isn't too surprising. I think the same kind of situation existed between Obama and Hillary (more animus between staff than candidates).

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

If McCain wants a bump, Romney won't give it to him. The only person I can think of who will is Colin Powell. Yes, two war guys, but it's Colin Powell, who even after his UN speech, still has an incredible about of unspent political capital in this country.

Romney's primary benefit to McCain is that he stays on message and can attack with the best of them. He'd be a great debater, trash Obama with cold, articulate reason, and generally be McCain's pitbull while the candidate himself stayed above the fray. That's the purpose of the VP candidate -- to do the negativity. Romney would be fantastic at it.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
If McCain wants a bump, Romney won't give it to him.
Not even with the conservative wing of his party?

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 07-22-2008, 03:15 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The best choice would be a charming, talented Latina woman. Don't know of one on the national scene.

I wonder if the AK gov. is still a dark horse.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The best choice would be a charming, talented Latina woman. Don't know of one on the national scene.

I wonder if the AK gov. is still a dark horse.
Linda Chavez would be an interesting choice, but she's definitely not on the radar.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
Levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Not even with the conservative wing of his party?
Perhaps a bump in enthusiasm, but not a bump in gross support. A bump in my mind is a bump in the poll numbers. The right wing are already selecting McCain over Obama in those polls.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Old 07-22-2008, 03:33 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Perhaps a bump in enthusiasm, but not a bump in gross support. A bump in my mind is a bump in the poll numbers. The right wing are already selecting McCain over Obama in those polls.
who gives McCain an overall bump?
Old 07-22-2008, 03:36 PM   #9
Levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
who gives McCain an overall bump?
I think the only person who can is Colin Powell. He would neutralize the race issue; he's always been popular with moderates, the middle 10% of the populace who decide every election; he's stated publicly his anger with the Bush administration/CIA for having misled him; he's got even more credibility than McCain with foreign policy/military matters; we'd trust his judgment on Iraq above anyone else's, I think . . .

The negative would be having two war men on the ticket, when McCain could use an economic thoroughbred and entitlement policywonk.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:42 PM   #10
Tex

Quote:
I don't know what you mean by "gross support." The polls don't leave out conservatives and Republicans, and McCain is not currently getting the same support from that base that Bush has historically received.

Romney would likely not give him a boost with Democrats and perhaps not independents either, though for a Republican those are two groups McCain does fairly decent with as it is. In fact, I believe he's tied dead-on with Obama with independents.

Thus a boost from his base would show up in real percentage points in poll numbers.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young