cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2008, 01:05 AM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wonderful speech

From an African-American who was raised by a single mother.

Quote:
We need fathers to realize that responsibility does not end at conception. Too many fathers are M.I.A, too many fathers are AWOL, missing from too many lives and too many homes. They have abandoned their responsibilities, acting like boys instead of men. And the foundations of our families are weaker because of it.

But we also need families to raise our children. We need fathers to realize that responsibility doesn’t just end at conception. That doesn’t just make you a father. What makes you a man is not the ability to have a child. Any fool can have a child. That doesn’t make you a father. It’s the courage to raise a child that makes you a father.

I know the toll it took on me, not having a father in the house. The hole in your heart when you don’t have a male figure in the home who can guide you and lead you. So I resolved many years ago that it was my obligation to break the cycle — that that if I could be anything in life, I would be a good father to my children.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/16/us...prod=permalink
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:05 AM   #2
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default It's easier to blame someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
From an African-American who was raised by a single mother.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/16/us...prod=permalink
especially conservatives for their problems.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote