cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would you ever not vote

for somebody because of their religion?

Pentecostal? Scientologist? JW? CoC? Muslim? Bahai? Taoist? Buddhist? Sikh? Wiccan? Hindi?

If you would refrain from voting for somebody because of their religion, how does this make you different than Jacob Weisburg?

My own standard is very arbitrary. I can't say that I would never vote for a member of a particular faith, but I also can't say that a candidates religious beliefs would never come into play. For some religions, I would have to be extra impressed by the candidate to overcome my own bias.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
for somebody because of their religion?

Pentecostal? Scientologist? JW? CoC? Muslim? Bahai? Taoist? Buddhist? Sikh? Wiccan? Hindi?

If you would refrain from voting for somebody because of their religion, how does this make you different than Jacob Weisburg?

My own standard is very arbitrary. I can't say that I would never vote for a member of a particular faith, but I also can't say that a candidates religious beliefs would never come into play. For some religions, I would have to be extra impressed by the candidate to overcome my own bias.
It always comes down to weighing two (or more) opponents. But there are certain belief systems that I would have serious concerns about.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:36 PM   #3
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Since you mentioned Wiccan, I admit I would certainly factor that into account.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:41 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I usually do not factor a person's faith into my voting. I suppose a wild-eyed, fundamentalist might not get my vote for a school board election. I don't want evolution, sex-ed and fundamentalist interpretations rejected.

At administrative and legislative levels, I look to economic issues long before considering personal issues. I don't care too much, whether gay, straight, adulterer or monogamous.

Ask it this way,

if you had a straight-laced religious fanatic who disagreed with you on all matters except matters of personal conduct, would vote for that person over a person, who caroused, gambled, drank, cheated on his wife, but was a perfect public servant agreeing with you on all matters of public policy?
Old 03-22-2007, 12:49 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I vote for whichever candidate will let me keep more of the money I earn.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:54 AM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I vote for whichever candidate will let me keep more of the money I earn.
I vote for you even if you are a Ute.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:05 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I vote for you even if you are a Ute.
And I'd vote for you as well.

I appreciate that, but I'm not dumb enough to run for office at any level.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:53 AM   #8
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
if you had a straight-laced religious fanatic who disagreed with you on all matters except matters of personal conduct, would vote for that person over a person, who caroused, gambled, drank, cheated on his wife, but was a perfect public servant agreeing with you on all matters of public policy?
The Book of Mormon makes an interesting point on this particular issue. While most of the book makes a case against unrighteous political leaders, the Book of Ether mentions King Morianton. He was the leader who did justice to the people, but not to himself. For this he was cut off from the presence of the Lord, yet the people prospered under his reign.

As for me personally, I would probably support the candidate who best shares my political views. A lot of bad legislation has been passed by very good men.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:17 AM   #9
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Any rational voter votes for policies rather than people. I consider religion to be an unimportant factor, unless it colors the policies that a candidate proposes to adopt.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:31 AM   #10
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Well, I'd never say never, but I don't see myself voting for a Muslim.

A Muslim would start out in a deep hole for me.

Don't know if that makes me different than Jacob Weisberg. To me, not all religions are created equal and a person's faith, or lack of faith, is a big part of a person's belief system and would color their policies.

As for Mormonism vs. Islam: Mormonism has proved itself quite compatible with democracy and republicanism in this country for over a hundred years as witnessed by the high numbers of elected Mormon officials who have served at all levels of government, Mormon patriotism, and reverence for the Constitution in our scriptures. Not to mention the hundreds of thousand of Mormons who have served and died in the military.

I can't say the same things about Muslims. If they as a people can show the same track record Mormons have shown, then I'd be more likely to accept a Muslim president. Til then, it would take a lot for a Muslim candidate to overcome my bias against the community as a whole.

Last edited by Venkman; 03-22-2007 at 04:43 AM.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote