cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2006, 10:55 PM   #1
El Guapo

El Guapo is on a distinguished road
Default With everything he could veto, this is what he picks?

http://drudgereport.com/flash7r.htm

I don't get what the hang-up is with stem cell research. As I understand it, the stem cells come from embryos that are frozen anyways and are just going to get thrown out. Why not put them to some good use? It isn't like we are ripping embryos out of pregnant women and experimenting with those.

Aren't most of these embryos created in labs to begin with?

Bush's stand seems nonsensical to me. Overall, I think he is average as president, but this decision strikes me as far below average.

PS-Don't kill me on my first political post! Some of you guys sound pretty harsh!
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:11 PM   #2
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

It's an indication of just how big a stranglehold the Christian Right has on the Republican party.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:12 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Or he's throwing them a bone.

I don't see it as a stranglehold, but a meaningless bone. Perhaps he actually believes it too. I'm a cynic and don't believe any of these national politicians believe anything, but perhaps he does.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:24 PM   #4
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
Or he's throwing them a bone.

I don't see it as a stranglehold, but a meaningless bone. Perhaps he actually believes it too. I'm a cynic and don't believe any of these national politicians believe anything, but perhaps he does.
Maybe it's not a stranglehold, but they have certainly shaped the debate. With all the real issues facing our country, it seems that we spend an inordinate amount of time talking about things like same-sex marriage, abortion, and now stem cell research.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:56 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Why would any clever politician want to focus upon real issues?

Politicians by nature do NOTwant to prioritize spending, do NOT want to disappoint the recipient class and if politicians can focus upon, matters which do not bear too much upon economics, in favor of galvanizing, emotional issues which will cause voters to vote viscerally instead of rationally, why would any politician discuss issues?

Watch any politician. He or she will discuss some politics for the wanks, but will spend most stumping for the troops using emotionalism.

Liberal dems are just the same. Why do you think Howard Dean does what he does? To energize the Left. He's not dumb, not crazy, just pandering to the emotions of the Left.

What galvanizes the Left?

Any mention of religion,

Gay rights,

Health care,

War,

Abortion,

Environment,

With the exception of war and health care, and the Left targets aspects without regard too cost, these motivate the Left. If one spouts the rhetoric, you'll get the Left to sing Kumbaya arm in arm, regardless what one says or whether it's good policy.

No politicians speak for visceral reactions not to establish good or bad policy. Policy is made behind closed doors. We get only meaningless rhetoric.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:54 AM   #6
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
It's an indication of just how big a stranglehold the Christian Right has on the Republican party.
I actually don't think this one is calculated. I think he has just made up his mind on what is right is is pulling the trigger on it. Come to think of it, this may be the least calculating president in our lifetimes. It is his strength, weakness and why not everything he does makes political sense.

I know a lot of people have really grown to hate him, but I tell you that I hope we continue to have presidents who have strong convictions and just lead rather than put their finger too much to the wind. It may be that it is time for someone with different convictions, but I prefer that to someone whose politics change depending on audience. Though I don't agree with many of the things he stands for, this is a strength I percieve in McCain.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:33 PM   #7
El Guapo

El Guapo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan
I actually don't think this one is calculated. I think he has just made up his mind on what is right is is pulling the trigger on it. Come to think of it, this may be the least calculating president in our lifetimes. It is his strength, weakness and why not everything he does makes political sense.

I know a lot of people have really grown to hate him, but I tell you that I hope we continue to have presidents who have strong convictions and just lead rather than put their finger too much to the wind. It may be that it is time for someone with different convictions, but I prefer that to someone whose politics change depending on audience. Though I don't agree with many of the things he stands for, this is a strength I percieve in McCain.

I don't know. Bush definitely is headstrong. On this issue, I tend to see it like nonsequitur does though. This seems like political pandering and nothing more.

Can someone logically explain to me why it is immoral to use stem cells from embryos that are just going to be thrown away? I think just throwing them away without using them to cure millions of sick people is far more immoral. I don't understand the position of the far right on this one.

I also disagree with you on McCain. I used to think he was exactly what you describe above- someone who stood for what he believed. Lately, though, he is changing positions like crazy to garner support for the nomination. He recently spoke at Bob Jones University, a place he refused to speak at when he ran for president last time because he abhorred what they stood for. You can't even turn on the tv without seeing him hugging Bush (whom he disagrees with on virtually everything).

I do agree that the best presidents are frequently the ones who do things they think are right rather than doing things they think are popular. That is why Kerry would have been a disaster. Unfortunately, Bush's ideas of what is right are actually frequently wrong. Not much of a group to choose from in 2004. Here's to hoping 2008 is better.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote