cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 06:46 PM   #1
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano
Default Levi signs with Discovery

Just announced the move. Said he really enjoyes riding the Specialized, Got his best results ever on the Tarmac. But Disco. made him an offer he couldn't refuse.
I assume that this will end talk of Landis to Discovery.
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:52 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Or maybe Disco gets both?
Old 07-25-2006, 07:05 PM   #3
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

Do they need both? it would definitely nake for a very strong team.
landis is in contract negotiations right now. ( not neccessarily with disco.) and expects to announce his plans soon. He also hopes to replace his hip within the next month.
I personnaly would love to see Discovery load up on the American stars. I just worry that there would be power struggles.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:15 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

having two of the caliber of Landis and Levi would not be unprecedented. In fact, when you look at T-Mobile and CSC it is hard to argue that Discovery would be too top heavy (assuming that the favorites are not suspended for doping).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:16 PM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think Levi would prevent Landis from coming over. I think Disco would want both. Levi is too old and too clearly not a grand tour winner to be a threat to Landis. Levi is someone more in the mold of Ekimov (I know they have differnt skills, I mean with respect to a power role on the team). Levi gives Disco an american name that Americans know, experience, a solid climber and a versatile teamate for whoever they peg as their team leader. Levi wasn't always the team leader even at Gerolsteiner, where Totsching was frequently preferred both sentimentally and on the road. I don't think he is oging to be 'the man' unless they get no one else and even then I suspect they would be more likely to push Popo into that role with Levi supporting him.

Landis is unlikely to go to disco, IMO, but it is possible. I think it is just as likely that Basso goes to Disco (there are rumblings that he is unhappy with CSC). Either one could co-exist with Levi, is my guess.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:26 PM   #6
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

I would love to see Basso move to Disco. I guess we need to see if he get's suspended first.
Landis is still a huge question mark. Who knows how he'll ride post-surgery.
Popo was supposed to be the man of the future for Disco. How has that changed now? has it changed at all?
What are Hincapie's plans?
Old 07-25-2006, 07:50 PM   #7
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Discovery has a long way to go to become an "American Team", despite what the public seems to think. CSC and Phonak are just as, or more, American as Discovery is at the moment. I would love to see it happen, as it would be easier to cheer for them from a patriotic standpoint.

As far as Basso goes, I've heard the same rumors that he is very unhappy with CSC and that he and Riis are currently on the outs. He would be an amazing pick-up from a Discovery standpoint and would launch them back to the top, if found not guilty of the charges. I was very disappointed at seeing his name in the list of accussed, but I'm sure that he is still Johan's dream rider regardless.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:56 PM   #8
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Oh, and regarding Landis, if he does go through with the hip replacement like it sounds he may, I have a very hard time seeing him come back and being competitive next year. 2-3 years, maybe, but by then he will be aged, in cycling years and will be of less value as a team captain.

I think that Levi is coming to terms with the fact that he may not be a grand tour winner and would complement another superstar nicely on the team. If you threw in a Basso or a Landis, I think it could work as well as an Ullrich/Kloden or a Basso/Sastre situation from this past year. Last year, Vino was a little too much ego to work well with the rest of T-Mobile and imo it was the best thing that could have happened for the team to have him move on. I love the guy, as he is a lot of fun to watch ride, but he's not much of a support rider, thats for sure.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:11 PM   #9
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone think Basso is innocent? I think he's gone for 2 years.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote