cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2006, 07:54 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Today cyclists melted in Vegas

the ambient air temperature by end of ride was 120 degrees, and 140 degrees on the black top. That friends, is hot in any language.

It was less than comfortable.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:20 PM   #2
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

WOW...

I was complaining about 95 and 30% humidity on Little Mountain...

I totally bonked... I guess you never know what the heat is going to do to you until you get on your bike.

Somehow I got talked into laying sod after my ride... 103 in Layton...

I will now stop my whining to go thank my Heavenly Father that I don't live in Vegas.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:05 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

According Weather.com, the temp in SLC at the moment I post this is 111, with humidity at 9%. Fortunately, this makes it feel like it's only 105.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.

Last edited by il Padrino Ute; 07-15-2006 at 11:08 PM.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:11 AM   #4
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE
WOW...

I was complaining about 95 and 30% humidity on Little Mountain...

I totally bonked... I guess you never know what the heat is going to do to you until you get on your bike.

Somehow I got talked into laying sod after my ride... 103 in Layton...

I will now stop my whining to go thank my Heavenly Father that I don't live in Vegas.

Where in Layton?
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:30 AM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

After recovering from the heat and humidity, I'll give a report for entertainment purposes.

We were headed for a leisurely 45-50 mile ride when a racer friend came by so we upped the pace a bit.

In the midst of the ride, a boater asked us to go boating at Lake Mead. So we did.

When it was time to ascend from the Lake, we noted the oppressive heat. We began melting as we noticed the tires liquifying. So we stopped for liquid after the climb.

My racer friend leans over to me and says, "if my wife were here I'd call her to pick us up."

I was hoping for a way to wimp out but we got home. It required a gallon of liquids before I felt somewhat normal again.

Note to self, do not ride in the midst of the day in Vegas during the summer. Having asphalt melt, tires stick to asphalt is a sign, no man should be riding.

I like Vegas whether but there is a reason why AC units were constructed.

For your information, our moderate sized abode has three AC units of 13 tons. Unfortunately, my carbon fiber bike does not have an AC unit.

To give you an idea what it's like to stare into that heat. On the unfortunate occasion when one must stop at a red light, sweat pours down one's head into one's eyes, thus blinding one with stinging salt. One's heartrate increase exponentially. Mine, on this "recovery ride' exceeded 200 beats per minute, and my effort wasn't that severe. Muscles twitch and ache and ice baths don't feel so bad.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:45 AM   #6
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36
Where in Layton?
I think it's technically West Kaysville... My Sister, brother-in-law, and their three kids live west of the Kaysville exit in a newer sub-division.

They used to live in Layton near the Smith's on Gentile.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:57 AM   #7
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE
I think it's technically West Kaysville... My Sister, brother-in-law, and their three kids live west of the Kaysville exit in a newer sub-division.

They used to live in Layton near the Smith's on Gentile.
Nice. I grew up in that area and am at home visiting my parents right now. I know the area very very well.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 01:36 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
After recovering from the heat and humidity, I'll give a report for entertainment purposes.

We were headed for a leisurely 45-50 mile ride when a racer friend came by so we upped the pace a bit.

In the midst of the ride, a boater asked us to go boating at Lake Mead. So we did.

When it was time to ascend from the Lake, we noted the oppressive heat. We began melting as we noticed the tires liquifying. So we stopped for liquid after the climb.

My racer friend leans over to me and says, "if my wife were here I'd call her to pick us up."

I was hoping for a way to wimp out but we got home. It required a gallon of liquids before I felt somewhat normal again.

Note to self, do not ride in the midst of the day in Vegas during the summer. Having asphalt melt, tires stick to asphalt is a sign, no man should be riding.

I like Vegas whether but there is a reason why AC units were constructed.

For your information, our moderate sized abode has three AC units of 13 tons. Unfortunately, my carbon fiber bike does not have an AC unit.

To give you an idea what it's like to stare into that heat. On the unfortunate occasion when one must stop at a red light, sweat pours down one's head into one's eyes, thus blinding one with stinging salt. One's heartrate increase exponentially. Mine, on this "recovery ride' exceeded 200 beats per minute, and my effort wasn't that severe. Muscles twitch and ache and ice baths don't feel so bad.

One word comes to mind: Brutal.

I can remember one time while playing ball that the onfield temp. was 115. That was just draining. Lots and lots and lots of Gatorade and cold, wet towels. I even put a wet towel down the back of my jersey to try to keep cool, but it soon heated up because of the perspiration.

I much prefer cooler weather.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:25 AM   #9
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Arch, that was the strangest ride report I've read in a while. Am I to understand that you received a boat invite mid-ride from a stranger? Then accepted that invite? Then returned to riding and melting? That's a heck of a day!
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 02:34 AM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Perhaps the boater offered them candy and they forgot what they were taught by their mothers about taking candy from strangers.

Then again, candy from strangers is always better than any other kind of candy. Why else does trick-or-treating exist?