cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road
Default Limbaugh throws down the gauntlet

Quote:
Let's talk about all of these things, Mr. President. Let's go ahead and have a debate on this show. No limits. Now that your handlers are praising themselves for promoting me as the head of a political party -- they think that's a great thing -- then it should be a no-brainer for you to further advance this strategy by debating me on the issues and on the merits, and wipe me out once and for all!

Just come on this program. Let's have a little debate. You tell me how wrong I am and you can convince the rest of the Americans that don't agree with you how wrong we all are. You're a smart guy, Mr. President. You don't need these hacks to front for you. You've debated the best! You've debated Hillary Clinton. You've debated John Edwards. You've debated Joe Biden. You've debated Dennis Kucinich. You've debated the best out there. You are one of the most gifted public speakers of our age. I would think, Mr. President, you would jump at this opportunity. Don't send lightweights like Begala and Carville to do your bidding -- and forget about the ballerina, Emanuel. He's got things to do in his office. These people, compared to you, Mr. President, are rhetorical chum.

I would rather have an intelligent, open discussion with you where you lay out your philosophy and policies and I lay out mine -- and we can question each other, in a real debate. Any time here at the EIB Network studios. If you're too busy partying or flying around giving speeches and so forth, then send Vice President Biden. I'm sure he would be very capable of articulating your vision for America -- and if he won't work, send Geithner, and we can talk about the tax code. And if that won't work, go get Bob Rubin. I don't care. Send whoever you want if you can't make it. You don't need to be leaking stories to Politico like this thing that's published today. You don't need to have your allies writing op-eds and all the rest. If you can win at this, then come here and beat me at my own game, and get rid of me once and for all, and show all the people of America that I am wrong.
The leader of the Democrat party debating the "de facto leader" of the Republican party.

Sounds like a great idea.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/dai...106.guest.html

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Obama fired the first shot by calling Limbaugh the defacto head of the GOP and now Limbaugh calls him on it. Too funny.

Limbaugh has nothing to lose in something like this. Obama has everything to lose. It won't happen for that very reason.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Obama fired the first shot by calling Limbaugh the defacto head of the GOP and now Limbaugh calls him on it. Too funny.

Limbaugh has nothing to lose in something like this. Obama has everything to lose. It won't happen for that very reason.
It won't happen because it is twofold: 1) there is nothing to gain; and 2) it is beneath the dignity of the President to debate a chump like Limbaugh. The fact that Republicans made him the head of their party doesn't make him any less of a chump.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #4
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
It won't happen because it is twofold: 1) there is nothing to gain; and 2) it is beneath the dignity of the President to debate a chump like Limbaugh. The fact that Republicans made him the head of their party doesn't make him any less of a chump.
Apparently it's beneath the dignity to debate him, but not beneath the dignity to personally and publicly attack him.

We call that cowardice where I come from.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 03-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
2) it is beneath the dignity of the President to debate a chump like Limbaugh.
In other words, Obama is too big if a wuss to debate Limbaugh.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:56 PM   #6
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
In other words, Obama is too big if a wuss to debate Limbaugh.
Outside of elections, who did George Bush debate in his entire presidency? How about Reagan? Bush I? Carter? Clinton?

Get real.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point

It's just smart politics to paint Rush as the head of the Republican party. He has an 11% positive rating among those under 40, has more baggage than Zha Zha Gabor, and incites fear among Republican politicians who disagree with him... hell, they even grovel for forgiveness in public!

The black garb, the sweating profusely (is he back on Oxycontin?), the anger... this guy is beautiful to the Dems.

Even Reagan would not have been elected with today's demographics... by all means, let the Great Rushbo keep speaking! I'd bet Dem strategists would gladly see Limbaugh's radio audience swell by 50% if he could be permanently imprinted as the Republican god.
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Apparently it's beneath the dignity to debate him, but not beneath the dignity to personally and publicly attack him.

We call that cowardice where I come from.
Are you honestly suggesting that a president cannot criticize anyone unless he also debates that person if invited? We call that line of thinking stupidity where I come from.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Outside of elections, who did George Bush debate in his entire presidency? How about Reagan? Bush I? Carter? Clinton?

Get real.
Who challenged them to debates?

Old 03-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #10
Tex

Quote:

Get real.
I don't recall that most presidents generally single out individual unelected private citizens as their primary targets, although Clinton also personally attacked Limbaugh several times. That certainly worked well for him.

Quote:
Are you honestly suggesting that a president cannot criticize anyone unless he also debates that person if invited? We call that line of thinking stupidity where I come from.
Not anyone, no. But if Obama and his cohorts are silly enough to elevate someone by singling them out, it's cowardly to then run from the fight citing "beneath the office."

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young