cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default The Church is smart

Whether you think the church's position was right or wrong, you have to admit the church is damn smart. It's not going to throw resources at a lost cause. I admit my faith on that was wavering, but the church proved itself again.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:52 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Whether you think the church's position was right or wrong, you have to admit the church is damn smart. It's not going to throw resources at a lost cause. I admit my faith on that was wavering, but the church proved itself again.
Yeah, they were smart like Republicans were smart to re-elect George Bush. Be careful what you wish for. Assuming your premise is correct here, when else have they been "smart." Please enlighten me.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Yeah, they were smart like Republicans were smart to re-elect George Bush. Be careful what you wish for. Assuming your premise is correct here, when else have they been "smart." Please enlighten me.
Brigham Young was smart enough to prohibit Mormons from mining their mountains and for bringing sugar beets and silk worms to the west. Mormons were smart enough to take care of that annoying Fancher-Baker party in 1857, and they were smart enough to pretend to get rid of polygamy in 1890.

LDS leaders were smart enough to oppose the repeal of Prohibition and the New Deal in the 1930s. LDS voters, however, in these two cases proved to be even smarter.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:07 PM   #4
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

I'm genuinely curious about what SLC's long term view of this is. Maybe that is just not something they feel they can worry about. My suspicion is that the pro-gay marriage folks are just going to wait this out. 5 years, 10 years, 15 years, until a point comes when public sentiment is overwhelmingly in favor of the repeal of this amendment. Then it will be over in a land slide. This is a when, not an if in my opinion.

So what will happen in the mean time is the people will just go to other states to marry and you won't have it in California for however long it takes them to repeal it. I may be really wrong, and would like to be, but I believe that gay marriage is going to be very commonplace in the culture not too many years hence and that we are going to have it in all the blue states at a minimum.

Maybe, as some have suggested, this was more a benefit to the members of the church who got a chance to exercise their faith than it was anything else.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
My suspicion is that the pro-gay marriage folks are just going to wait this out. 5 years, 10 years, 15 years, until a point comes when public sentiment is overwhelmingly in favor of the repeal of this amendment. Then it will be over in a land slide. This is a when, not an if in my opinion.
I had this conversation this morning, elsewhere. Note that eight years ago Prop 22 got 61% of the vote, while yesterday Prop 8 garnered only 52%. Stats show it's the elderly who are overwhelmingly against gay marriage. So give it a few years.

So sometime in the first half of the next decade, be prepared to be asked to pony up even more $$$, and then again year after year, state by state.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:17 PM   #6
LA Ute

LA Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Everybody on this thread so far . . .

Is really establishing one thing: A profound "deficit of knowledge" on what went on in California regarding Prop 8. No empathy, no intellectual curiosity (except for Utah Dan), but a whole lot of bitterness and snide smart-alec comments. Impressive, in a way.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:32 PM   #7
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
Is really establishing one thing: A profound "deficit of knowledge" on what went on in California regarding Prop 8. No empathy, no intellectual curiosity (except for Utah Dan), but a whole lot of bitterness and snide smart-alec comments. Impressive, in a way.

There will be a purging in the Calif. wards if a portion of Pro 8 members consider their fellow members in the same manner as some do on CB. How would you like all the other members in your ward thinking, "that guy hates the song I love to follow the Prophet".
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:36 PM   #8
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Two historical analogies that come to mind--Little Big Horn and Pearl Harbor. Your coalition as well as the national election results have to tell you how ephemeral was this "victory." Seems even the thoughtful UtahDan agrees with this.

But please, enlighten me; tell me how I'm wrong.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 11-05-2008 at 06:51 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:41 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Is Prop 8 a constitutional amendment? And if not, why create something the California Supreme Court is likely to overturn?
Old 11-05-2008, 06:46 PM   #10
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Is Prop 8 a constitutional amendment? And if not, why create something the California Supreme Court is likely to overturn?
Yes, it amended the state constitution. But even that doesn't mean it won't be challenged in the courts. SF's city attorney will file papers very quickly challenging the initiative.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote